Need help on Friday

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

andy4499
Chromis

Need help on Friday

Post by andy4499 »

I know this is short notice, but I need some help tomorrow reconstructing my reef tank. I plan on taking all of my rocks out of the tank and pull out my shrimp and crabs. I recently found out that I have redbugs again and I am starting to loose corals. This is the only think I know to do to try and save my inverts. I treated the tank a few months ago, but some of the frags I got had them on them again (they were treated, but I guess some of them lived). So if anyone is available to help me out tomorrow please give me a call or email me. I plan on starting early in the morning. I am sure I will have some free frags for someone that can help me out.

Thanks, Andy
251-978-4517
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Need help on Friday

Post by Fishfood »

Ugh... I got a few frags from the main tank a few weeks back. I guess I need to keep a close eye on my stuff. I only have 6 acros and all are frags so I could probably take all out and treat them, but its been an while and I don't remember if these guys can remain in the tank without acros. All of my stuff is polyped out so I haven't seen any issues yet.

I may be able to stop in for a little after work but I'm not sure of that just yet. I get out early so it would be around 2:30. I'm not sure if I have to pick up the baby. I'll get back to you.

Drew
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I am sorry drew, I wish I would have known then that I had them again. I think I will have to start quarantining all my new frags and corals and treat them for 3 weeks before going into my main tank again. It is obvious that one treatment is not enough with revive. If you want to bring your corals back to me and any others that you need treated I can stick them in my tank and treat them with the rest of mine. They only affect some acro types not all so you may not have any of them.

I think for now I about to clean out and setup the old 150 gallon rubber made tub in one of the back rooms and move as many corals and rock into it as I can so I can pick off all the hermits and then move them all back in. I see this taking a while over the weekend.

Just give me a call sometime if you want to try and help me out any.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

You know I thought about treating the frags I got from you, but just didn't do it. Its not a huge deal for me because I have 2 shrimp and I think 5 hermits in my 60 so if I need to treat them I can do so. You probably should do 3 treatments over a 3 week period. That would be a huge PITA for your size tank though I would imagine.

I'm trying to get in touch with my wife to see if I can make it over there after work for a little, if you need my help. I'll give you a call when I find out if she can pick up the baby.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Yeah I did the 3 week treatment last time too, but I know some of the frags I got from others had them, but I guess that I did not treat those frags correctly. I plan on doing the full 3 week treatment again but I don’t want to have to spend $300-500 on getting my shrimp and crabs replaced again plus I will have to move the tank in a month or so anyways. So I guess this will be a trial run. I have to meet with our mortgage guy at 3 today so how about I call you when we get done with that.

By the way it does not feel good to run into a try with your face. I just got done dragging the 150 gallon tub from around back and hornets started flying at me. So I went into panic mode and as I turned to run I forgot about the tree sitting behind me and I turned to run and ran right into the tree that was behind me. If I only had a camera on me I could have submitted it to Americas funniest home videos.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Looks like I won't be able to help out then today. Let me know if you need any help on saturday morning. I might be able to pull that off.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Revive isn't really effective against redbugs. You need interceptor and be generous with it.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

well i took a closer look at the frags I got from you. That blue one that you gave me was covered in them but the pearlberry and milli didn't have anything on them. I'm treating them all with intercepter right now. I have two pills left so I may have to do the entire tank down the road. Lets just see if this takes care of them for me. I only have other acros in the tank and from what I can tell none of them have any red bugs yet.
AgeDynasty
Amoeba

Post by AgeDynasty »

Andy if u still need help on monday or something like that. I can help you.
150 Gallon Mixed Reef
75 Gallon Mixed Reef
40 Gallon Frag System
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So how did things turn out?
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Things went ok, I did not remove everything just enough to get some of the crabs, lobster and sexy shrimp out. I did not put a heater in my transition water and I lost the shrimp and lobster anyways. So I would have been better off just starting the treatment. Oh well I am about to do my final water change from the treat ment and will be looking to get some inverts again soon.