manatee and shaol grass

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Kresnahw22
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

manatee and shaol grass

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Does anyone on here know where these seagrasse beds can be found in the gulf shores/ orange beach area.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: manatee and shaol grass

Post by Amphiprion »

I've seen seasonal patches here and there, but none that remain terribly long. Another member here by the name of AuroraDrvr may be more familiar with local collection sites for these grasses than I am, however. It may be worth shooting him a PM to see if he may know more about it.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Ok I will do that thank u
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Unfortunately, there's not many true seagrass beds that are accessible by land in Baldwin County more. Anything north of say, Bon Secour Bay in Mobile Bay is too low in salinity. You can find very sparse patches if you go into the backwaters of Perdido Pass (Terry Cove, Bayou St. John, Old River, Arnica Bay, etc). The problem is, its either bordered by Houses, there's no way to get to it (without a hike), or they're too deep to collect at.

Look up Tarpon Drive in Pensacola. I haven't been there in a while, but depending how many houses have (or haven't) been built on that road, there are cul-de-sacs at either end, which you can park on and it's like a 10-20ft walk to seagrass beds.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Oh yea, if you want to purchase Seagrass (instead of wasting time collecting washed up seagrass that probably won't live), you can check out Gulf Coast Ecosystems @ http://www.live-plants.com

They carry both Manatee and Shoal pretty much year-round, though they're coincidentally out of all seagrass ATM :lol: . I've found them to be better than Reef Cleaners. Their product is shipped in breathable bags, in water. Whereas RC stuff is shipped dry. Their portions are usually much bigger, as well.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Thank you if I can't have any luck fiding it ill order it