Anyone kept Blue spotted sea hare?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Anyone kept Blue spotted sea hare?

Post by Crustman »

Got one of these in Houston, a nice black one with sapphire blue spots. Acclimated it to the tank and have not seen it since I put it in the tank on Thurs night. I read that they can bury themselves. What good is a pet that you never see? Even looked for it at 130 am and no sign of it. It has hair algae on the glass to eat. It can help the Tuxedo urchin that is eating the coralline.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Re: Anyone kept Blue spotted sea hare?

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Crustman wrote:Got one of these in Houston, a nice black one with sapphire blue spots. Acclimated it to the tank and have not seen it since I put it in the tank on Thurs night. I read that they can bury themselves. What good is a pet that you never see? Even looked for it at 130 am and no sign of it. It has hair algae on the glass to eat. It can help the Tuxedo urchin that is eating the coralline.
I have a larger standard non spotted one. It hid for the first day or two. They're quite hard to see, so I probably saw it and didn't realize it. I would give it some time. I have not seen ours bury itself.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Many aplysiids bury themselves, but not all of them, so that makes sense. Their algal preferences can also vary substantially, so make sure yours eats filamentous algae. Cool critters in any case.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Thanks, I will keep looking for it or see where it is eating. It was out in the store tank.