water flow for a 75g

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

keeganpsp
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

water flow for a 75g

Post by keeganpsp »

alright so i know alot of people say to have about 10-20 times the water volume for the amount of flow in a tank. im upgrading to a 75 gal from a 55 and i was running 1400gph in the 55 and it just seemed like i wasn't enough. so what i was wondering is what would some of you recommend? i plan on having alot of sps and softies, hardly any stonys if any at all

thanks,
keegan
Babyreef
Amoeba

Re: water flow for a 75g

Post by Babyreef »

For sps i would push 50+ turnover. I think lots of heavy random flow will help keep your sps happy. My 29 bio cube gets flow from 2 mp10's full tilt. puts me well over60+ turnover
keeganpsp
Amoeba

Post by keeganpsp »

what exactly does the term turnover mean? sorry not completely comfortable with all the sw lingo lol
29nanomob
Copepod

Post by 29nanomob »

if your tank vol is 50 and you want to turn over twice then move 100gal the base line is to turn your tank 10 times an hr. so on a 75 you would need a min of a 750gph pump on your filtration and powerheads to keep a toilet effect from happening move about 3500gph and youll be good but dont go buy 1 large pump put a lot of smaller powerheads in the tank use the 1400 for filtering and the rest in power heads.
reefing just isnt the same living outside the glass....
keeganpsp
Amoeba

Post by keeganpsp »

perfecte! that has been exactly what i've been looking for but i couldnt find it anywhere thank you so much!!!!! im always gonna have small powerheads i have 2 hydor koralia 750s on my 55 gal now but it just didnt seem like enough water flow so i couldnt figure out how much to up it by.

one more question, my 55 crashed because i didn't have a sump and a skimmer running on it so im upgrading to a 75. my rocks are covered in red slime algae so what i was wondering was if i could take a power washer and just blast the algae off and keep the rocks, or do i need to like hand scrub them?
29nanomob
Copepod

Post by 29nanomob »

hand scrubbing would be a better way because the rock is nothing more than dead coral taken over by other organisms. the pressure washer may damage the rock.
reefing just isnt the same living outside the glass....
keeganpsp
Amoeba

Post by keeganpsp »

yeah i feel ya, ill just stick it in a tub of saltwater and scrub the dog shit out of them and that should take care of the red slime algae
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

keeganpsp wrote:perfecte! that has been exactly what i've been looking for but i couldnt find it anywhere thank you so much!!!!! im always gonna have small powerheads i have 2 hydor koralia 750s on my 55 gal now but it just didnt seem like enough water flow so i couldnt figure out how much to up it by.

one more question, my 55 crashed because i didn't have a sump and a skimmer running on it so im upgrading to a 75. my rocks are covered in red slime algae so what i was wondering was if i could take a power washer and just blast the algae off and keep the rocks, or do i need to like hand scrub them?
You will probably have the same problems with a 75 if you don't run a sump and/or skimmer if you overstock and overfeed and do not keep up with waterchanges. I'm going to assume you will be using a canister filter if you don't have the sump or skimmer. You need something other than the rock unless you really don't stock the tank to heavy and do not overfeed. I'm basically only running a skimmer, but it is in my sump. My sump has the return pump and skimmer and I also run a phosphate reactor in the sump, and currenly have that running carbon. Every once in a while I'll put a filter sock on my line that feeds the sump.
karppeeni5
Amoeba

sports line

Post by karppeeni5 »

This really answered my downside, thank you!
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I'm not saying you can't get away with a canister filter and live rock but you better have a decent amount of live rock and not overstock. I keep hinting at the overstock part because most people tend to do that and then they feed too much and things go to hell. The only reason I have a sump is for my skimmer. So in the end I'm just saying think about investing up front or the next time you could be posting you have a 100g tank and just took down a 75 because you had problems with it.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Now that I think about it one of the nicest SPS tanks I've seen was a 65 tub that wasn't drilled. I don't think the guy was running any filters other than a Tunze in tank skimmer. He also had a calcium reactor and doser set up for 2 part. He had probably twice as much lr as I have in my 65. The one thing I will say is I think he was rather militant about water changes.
Rebel01
Amoeba

Post by Rebel01 »

this is sort of a question/statement. I have placed one of my powerheads down low pointing up . it seems to be doing a good job of keeping debris that was settling on the sand stirred up so that it goes into my overflow to my sump filter.
so the question is how do you recommended positioning multiple powerheads in a 55gal tank.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Unfortunately, there is no generalized "ideal" position for any tank. Things like the type of flow (narrow and laminar vs. broad and turbulent), rockwork, and coral placement/growth patterns will all make a large impact on the flow dynamics. It's largely a matter of experimenting to see which configuration gives you exactly what you are looking for.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium