Sebae Anemone Questions

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

tattooedgoddog
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Sebae Anemone Questions

Post by tattooedgoddog »

Hi, I got a sebae and i'm not sure if i'm having some problems. I've been feeding is some fresh caught frozen snapper in little pieces and it takes it well. When i first got it, it was a startling white color, Which i found out was not a great sign. Its now a pale brown almost all over, so from what i understand thats good. I do have a juvinile clarki that its hosting. When i first brought it home it attached itself in the bucket i was drip acclimating it in. I caefully removed it with a clean gift card and put it in my tank. It found a spot and anchored in just about an hour or so, i was very happy. About a week ago it let go and started to move. I think it may have moved becouse i had adjusted a rock that was several inches away but kinda above him. Since the inicial move he has stayed in one spot, but won't anchor. I've fed him in this spot and he took it fine. He hasn't taken food now for the fourth day now, and earlier his mouth was open. As of now a couple hours later, hes pretty bunched up but his mouth is closed. I'm just a bit worried that its been a week since he anchored, even though he seems to be doing alright.
I would love to hear yall input.
Thank You
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Sebae Anemone Questions

Post by Amphiprion »

The anemone isn't anchored at all? That's not a terribly good sign. Can you give a more detailed description of your setup, including any and all equipment, lights, age of setup, etc. Some water parameters (numbers, please) would also be helpful. Also, the specific conditions the anemone is in now, such as what kind of substrate (rock or sand?), how deep the substrate is (if applicable), water motion, bottom/top of tank, etc.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
tattooedgoddog
Amoeba

Post by tattooedgoddog »

Sure, The tank is 100g with a 55 gal sump/refuge. I'm not totally posative on the size of the return pump or the exact numbers on the skimmer, i was told it was a red sea skimmer. The tank and equip were part of a couples old tank. I do know that the pump keeps up well with two 1" drains though, i've been told that should be enough. I have a little over 100 lbs of live rock and about 100 -120 lbs of live sand in the main tank, about 60 - 80 lbs of sand in the refuge. The tank has been set up for Close to 2 months now. I was told that it should be ok since at the time of the purchase the tank was fully cycled for several weeks and that i had no bio load or anything other than a clean up crew in the tank. My rock is set up lengthwise threw the middle of the tank and there is about 3 - 31/2 inches of sandy substrate. Its a mix of really fine sand and some larger grain stuff. As of now i have the clean up crew.. white legs, blue legs, one hitchhicker red leg, turbo astera snails, two mexican turbos, two lettuce slugs, three cleaner clams. As far as live stock goes the 1" or so clarki, a small coral beauty angel, a yellow eye tang and a lawnmower blenny. I alwo have at least 4 peppermint shrimp, who i'm ready to stab. The other night i tried to feed the anemone and they kept trying to rip the fish from his tenticles. I stayed there with a woooden kabob stick and kept chasing them away... theyre to many for the clown to fight off alone. Since then i haven't been able to feed the sebae, he hasn't grasped the food. I recently dug out a bit of the substrate under the sebae and turned off my power heads, i was told that might get him to anchor. As of this minute the sebae is agian laying on its side shrunk up. Hes down by the bottom of two rocks on the sand. His mouth is open agian.
My readings are as follows: sal.. 32 ph 8.2 Amm. O nitrite O nitrate 0 - 5ppm. I was told i don't really have to test for anything else like calcium till i start with worms or harder corals.
My lighting is 4 95 watt T5's two blue and two daylight. its about 15 or so inches from the top of the substrate to the water lvl. Lights are about 2 inches obove that.. water temp moves between 77 - 80, i don't run a heater or chiller. I have two power heads (also from the old owner) I run a maxi jet 1200 and a maxi jet 2400. My tank is 5 ft long.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Everything seems to be in order. It won't necessarily be a magic bullet, but try to get your major params, like salinity and temp, closer to natural levels--somewhere around 35 ppt and 82 degrees, respectively. Not crucial, but it can help ailing specimens, especially anemones. I've nursed back plenty to see that it does make a difference sometimes. Besides anemones, those levels are what most reefs average, contrary to some popular opinions. Actually, the reefs with the mother lode of diversity are closer to averaging 84 degrees, temp-wise, interestingly enough.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
tattooedgoddog
Amoeba

Post by tattooedgoddog »

Do you think the pepperment shrimp could have anything to do with it? They have grown fast and as mentioned ripped the fish from the anemones tenticles, i've read that can damage them. I'll try to bump up my temp and add a little salt water to the system. I'm sad that i didn't fully investigae the sebae before i bought it, i had a bubble long ago, but i know they are very hardy.
This morning.. say as late as 10am, the sebae, though not anchored, was puffed up with closed mouth. Just over the day hes shrunk up and open mouthed...
tattooedgoddog
Amoeba

Post by tattooedgoddog »

Could my sand be two course? I haven't ready anything on needing fine sand though.