green hair algea

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

pheonixsoul25
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

green hair algea

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

ok been fighting some gha of in my 65g. increased my water changes to 10 gallons twice a week cut my light times back cut back on feeding tank to every three days. but the best was so far i have found to fight it is hydrogen peroxide ! by either removing the rock and dipping it for about five minutes or so or using a turkey baster and blasting the rocks in the tank with it, have not used any more than 10 ml a day at this point. but its working great! what do you guys do to fight out breaks in your tank?
100 gallon mixed reef
jt3069
Copepod

Re: green hair algea

Post by jt3069 »

I HAD A BIG AGLAE PROBLEM
I USED VODKA DOSING AND A PHOPHATE REACTOR TO CURE THE ALGAE
ALSO HAD TO RE MOVE SOME ROCK FROM THE DT SO WATER COULD FLOW BETTER
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
29nanomob
Copepod

Post by 29nanomob »

i had it bad for a while. it took as far as a tooth brush and pulling rocks out and spraying them down to get it out. (bulbs were old) got new ones. could it be a seasonal thing? 3people at work are having the same problem and one of my old friends said he is fighing it in his 110.
reefing just isnt the same living outside the glass....
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

IM NO SCIENTIST BUT FOR MY UNDERSTANDING ALGAE REQUIRES PHOHATES AND NITRATES TO GROW
IF WE OVER FEED OR HAVE A NEW BIOLAGICALLY UNSTABLE TANK, THE EXCESS NUTRIENTS ALLOWS ALGAE TO
GROW. BY GETTING RID OF THE NUTRIENTS YOU STARVE THE ALGAE, WHICH TAKES TIME BUT WILL STOP GROWING AND SLOW DISAPATE,
IN MY CASE I HAVE 3 ANTHIAS IN A 75 SO I GOT A SWC 160 SKIMMER AND PHOSPHATE REACTOR TO HELP REMOVE THE NUTRIENTS I WAS PUTTING IN WITH THE HEAVY AMOUNT OF FOOD GOING IN TO MY TANK, AFTER A COUPLE MONTHS
I REALIZED THAT I HAD TOO MUCH ROCK IN MY TANK (TRAPING DETRITUS) SO I REMOVED SOME AND STARTED VODKA DOSING.
I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT I AM ALMOST ALGAE FREE AND WILL BE ELIMINATING SOME OF MY CUC IN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS

I HOPE THIS INFORMATION WILL HELP AND GOOD LUCK
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

:D hell yeah great info guys thanks hope this helps alot of people not just me lol !
100 gallon mixed reef
benjamin
Amoeba

Post by benjamin »

I have tried everything and anything over the last year to fight my algae. I finally got desperate and used Algaefix about a week ago and it has almost cleared my tank of all algae. Anyone else had good experience with this product?
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

ALGAE FIX WILL TEMPURALLY CURE HAIR ALGE BUT IF YOU DONT REMOVE THE DEAD ALGAE
YOU ARE JUST ADDING FOOD FOR THE NEXT ALGE OUTBREAK

I LIKE TO SOLVE MY PROBLEMS NOT JUST HIDE THEM IMO
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
29nanomob
Copepod

Post by 29nanomob »

yea but did that realy "FIX" the problem? dust your rock see how much waste is sitting on everything. check your bulbs. if they are around 8+mon. replace them. iif your using a mix of lights mh+t-5 turn off the t-5s for a week. if its a mh, look at the center of the bulb if its black white and grey change it. blackish white and murcury (crome) is ok. or a welding lense will give you a look at the arc flow. smooth curves mean good gas. jumps and jolts mean its time. hope this helps anyone els. i dont know alot about reefs but i know my way around the equip.
reefing just isnt the same living outside the glass....