30gal long acrylic frag tank and led build

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

29nanomob
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

30gal long acrylic frag tank and led build

Post by 29nanomob »

i got my hands on a 30gal long acrylic tank and am going to play with leds for a bit. jason schooled me on "salt water led's"... this is what i came up with on my own
after talking with him

led build... 3white to every blue led. orderd 1w 5mm 460nm 80* view 20ma blue leds and 1w 5mm 3000nm 10k 20ma 1.5v leds. 3 pads of 60. 6 dimmers to ajust the white and blue seperate, per pad. so the middle can blast stonys and the outside too can be dimmed for soft corals. shadows inbetween lights alos. no lenses for the trials maybe order some later on. also orderd a fan and heat sink with thermal glass paste to make a chiller on the back glass...
Last edited by 29nanomob on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
reefing just isnt the same living outside the glass....
29nanomob
Copepod

Re: 40gal acrylic frag tank and led build

Post by 29nanomob »

had my cuz (designer and tech of 4yr collage in cal. for plastics and fibers) taught me how to polish acrylic..... under water!, and how to cut and deal with acrylic... going to polish the tank today maybe install an overflow box at one end and a bh for the return at the other end.
29nanomob
Copepod

Re: 30gal long acrylic frag tank and led build

Post by 29nanomob »

so far ive aquired a 5gal for the sump 300W fluval heater and tank... leds in the mail.... working on the t-5's... still undecided on rock and sand...
Attachments
024.JPG
024.JPG (128.74 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Interested to see how everything goes. I'm actually considering going LED for my seagrass system, but it would be a pre-made fixture, like AquaIllumination Sol White, etc.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
29nanomob
Copepod

Post by 29nanomob »

i found the 3w star leds for .60 each w/o sinks. on ebay... i put 10 leds on a that 5gal you see with a frag of crown in it to see what happens its not so bright... so the energy thing is out if i were trying to save the earth. hate to say it... but its not looking good. (but to say the most. if no1 tryed anything where would we be....) if a man didnt take that fish and put it in a bowl and watch it die. would he have known to move the water. then try agin??? then the fish died? so the man made a filter and tryed agin... the fish lived. get the idea? how did you know that super glue would hold a frag under water and not kill the coral? you tryed it, got bashed, then it became a trend... Thanks to the people following the build it makes it worth doing...
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

this will be interesting to see unfold
29nanomob
Copepod

Post by 29nanomob »

today set 1 of the leds will arrive in white they will go on the 5gal with the green sinulara... pix later tonight
Attachments
updates 005.JPG
updates 005.JPG (64.64 KiB) Viewed 1720 times