cuc in your sump ???

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

pheonixsoul25
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

cuc in your sump ???

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

ok guys do any of you keep snails and or hermits in you sumps ??
100 gallon mixed reef
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: cuc in your sump ???

Post by Amphiprion »

I do not, nor have I ever, other than what naturally migrates there, like various 'pods and worms. What purpose would a separate cleaning crew serve down there, exactly? They won't necessarily alleviate detritus, as they often typically create more than they consume. If you have a refugium, you don't want any aggressive herbivores either, really. The same goes for hermits, which will snack on animals that are typically one of the major reasons for having a refugium. If you are going to put something down there, the only thing that would even be remotely recommended would be a few snails. Even then, they are going to be competing with various other organisms that consume the same fare, which is more of a detriment, IMHO. I would allow it to establish its own little community.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I agree. I normally leave that open for whatever migrates in there, that is their domain. I will throw rubble and such in there though, and normally have impressive size bristle worms grow up in the sump.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

I left mine empty, but a bunch of small Stomatella's appeared so I leave them be.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

Thanks for the info guys that's kinda what I thought the reason I was asking is I had two snails end up in mine I didn't see a problem leaving them. But way curious if anyone else was keeping any there ect. Thanks
100 gallon mixed reef
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Every now and then I'll move one of my Mexican Turbos down to the refugium to let him clean up the film algae on the sides of the glass.