What Do You Spend a Month on Maintenance?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

JRA95SHO
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

What Do You Spend a Month on Maintenance?

Post by JRA95SHO »

So now that I scored this free 100 gal. setup that's so far looking pretty nice, I'd like to get an idea of what each of you spend a month just to maintain it. This does not include buying more livestock. Thankfully, I have my friend Andy to help me with everything. I've heard this hobby can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it. Bear in mind, I have a full setup with everything I need with the only recommendation of getting a larger skimmer.

Right now the tank has a a few fish--not many: clown fish, sailfin blenny?, another type of blenny, a couple of pajama cardinals, pistol shrimp, watchman goby, a rose anemone, and a few select corals.

The tank came with everything, and I mean everything; so I have test kits, food, DI, etc.

Just wondering what I need to budget aside for the minimum monthly maintenance (which means...just keeping it going w/o adding any goodies; those, of course, would be extra).
AgeDynasty
Amoeba

Re: What Do You Spend a Month on Maintenance?

Post by AgeDynasty »

I wouldn't be scared to say at least $50.00 on a tank that size. Thats not including power consumption and water.
150 Gallon Mixed Reef
75 Gallon Mixed Reef
40 Gallon Frag System
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

ID SAY POWER, WATER, SALT MIX, MEDIA (PHOSPHATE OR CARBON), FOOD ARE MY MAIN MONTHLY $$
+1 ON $50.00 GIVE OR TAKE A LITTLE BOTH WAYS
ID ALWAYS SAVE A LIL YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT HAVE AN UNEXPECTED NEED FOR SOMETHING
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

If you purchase in bulk and use cost-efficient/high performance products, you can get that even lower. At its height, I was able to get my 75 g running costs (excluding electricity) to about $30. Chemicals were purchased in bulk, water made in my own ro/di unit (with high eff. Membrane, resin, etc.), and T5 lamps. Food was the most expensive, but I would vary what I bought and fed, while buying higher quantities. This is an effective way to go, but it always costs more up front.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
JRA95SHO
Amoeba

Post by JRA95SHO »

Thanks. I will post some pics soon of it set up in the house. I am going to pick up a few things for the tank today: a few fish, maybe some inverts, food, etc. As long as my electricity bill doesn't jump $100 a month, I'm ok. I don't think it will with this setup.

This week I had to go down to Ft. Lauderdale on a business trip, so I checked out a couple of LFSs there: Exotic Aquatic and The Reef's Edge. Exotic Aquatic had more fish; however, the Reef's Edge had a fantastic coral display. They had toadstools the size of a large pizza growing in their main tank; LED setups, etc. They also had a large display tank at the front of the store with a lion fish over 1 ft. long! I didn't know they even got that big. They don't have a website up and running, but I got on their mailing list. They do ship corals. Not sure on their pricing. I know Exotic Aquatic's prices were about avg. of the stores around here.