Sick Tang

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

jt3069
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Sick Tang

Post by jt3069 »

that should do it sry my mistake
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

if you go to rc and look at disease treatment forum at the top they have detailed steps to preforming every type of ick removal avaliable
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I was wondering why I hadn't seen that thread and then I saw the date on it. It's much more recent than I'm familiar with. Steve 'snorvich' did a good job essentially distilling the information that was originally set out there by Moe, Burgess, Noga, Colomi (which was summarized more formerly by Steven Pro and Terry Bartelme). It's great that all that information is now neatly condensed in one spot, since it was pain looking around for all of it. I'll have to bookmark this one. Thanks for the link--I don't make it to RC nearly as often as I used to.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

Ich is a parasite and is present in majority of our aquariums. My tank has it and once in a blue moon I have seen a few signs on my tang but normally only after adding a new fish to the tank. Water changes will not remove ich, nor will herbtana. The only thing herbtana does, is boost your fish's immunity. healthier fish = less ich outbreaks. If you want to fully cure your tank of ich, you must set up a quarantine tank and put all fish in there. There, you can medicate your fish with copper based medicines (fatal to inverts) so DO NOT use it in your reef system; meanwhile give your display tank a few weeks before adding your fish back. The ich will naturally die off without a host to live on. When you add a new fish, you also have to introduce them to your quarantine tank first and medicate that fish as well before introducing it to your reef and other livestock. Every fish you purchase, (especially from b&b) will have ich. But again, like i said at the start... ich is present in my tank but I have very healthy fish so its no an issue. As for your nitrates being through the roof, its most likely due to your fish MIA. they're probably dead somewhere in the tank and slowly decomposing. How old is your tank? How big? and how many pounds of Live rock do you have? also, are you running a protein skimmer?
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

THERE WAS ANOTHER LINK I WAS LOOKING FOR BUT COULDN'T FIND THE ONE I POSTED WAS A SUMMARY

I DISAGREE BUDDY ICK IS FOUND IN ALL OUR TANKS AND IN THE OCEAN THERE IS NO CURE BUT TO KEEP YOUR FISH HEALTHY
(WHICH YOU SHOULD DO ANYWAY), FISH HAVE THERE OWN DEFENCE AGAINST ICH,BUT WHEN UNHEALTHY
THEY HAVE A HARD TIME FIGHTING ICK. UNLIKE THE OCEAN WERE THEY RECOVER FROM ICK VERY EASILY, THEY CAN DIE IN CLOSED SYSTEMS
BY KEEPING YOUR FISH HEALTHY YOU PROTECT AGAINST ICH,

I HAVE ALSO HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK USING UV STERILIZERS TO KEEP ICH DOWN
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
JRA95SHO
Amoeba

Post by JRA95SHO »

Thanks for the replies. What you guys posted regarding ich is pretty much what I've read. Although best, I don't plan on trying to quarantine all of my fish. I have close to 10 fish in my 100 gal already and would like more. I'm afraid trying to cram all those fish in a qt tank will stress them out even more; not noly that, I'd probably need a 30 gal. tank for that. I'm a big fish person vs. a coral person, so I may have issues as I add more livestock.

What I'm doing now is trying to make the environment better for the fish to fight it off or boost immunity. I did 2 15-20% water changes back to back (2 days in a row), and plan to do a 3rd mid-week this week. My nitrates already lowered to 20-40ppm (not great but better than they were). I'm feeding the fish and anemonies every other day with frozen mysis shrimp from B&B. I had them test my water again, and I tested it myself. My salinity is exactly where int needs to be. My calcium was 360, so I added a couple of teaspoons to up it. Alkalinity was right at 8, so I added a little superbuffer to make sure it's more within the range. I plan on trying to monitor the tank the next couple weeks w/o adding much, if anything to it for now.

My coral beauty angel is looking a lot better, as is the sailfin bleny. The yellow tang still has some ich spots but has improved. Overall the fish are happy, very active, and are eating. Unfortunately my favorite fish are tangs, which are the most suceptible to ich. I may need to wait a bit before I add a blue hippo. I'm almost scared to buy anymore tangs because unless I go through the PITA ordeal of risking a qt for all fish, I'm afraid that each one I'll add may destroy all the other fish.
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

dont add anymore fish until all signs of ich are gone. otherwise, it will start the process all over and stress them out even more. more stress = more ich
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

jt3069 wrote:
I DISAGREE BUDDY ICK IS FOUND IN ALL OUR TANKS AND IN THE OCEAN THERE IS NO CURE BUT TO KEEP YOUR FISH HEALTHY
(WHICH YOU SHOULD DO ANYWAY), FISH HAVE THERE OWN DEFENCE AGAINST ICH,BUT WHEN UNHEALTHY
THEY HAVE A HARD TIME FIGHTING ICK. UNLIKE THE OCEAN WERE THEY RECOVER FROM ICK VERY EASILY, THEY CAN DIE IN CLOSED SYSTEMS
BY KEEPING YOUR FISH HEALTHY YOU PROTECT AGAINST ICH,
as i said, its in majority of our tanks including mine... if he qt's his fish and uses hypo methods or copper, it will cure the fish of ich and he will no longer have it in his display tank unless he adds more infected fish without curring them as well. here is a great article http://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-i ... 30950.html
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

nice link that was something more like what i was lookin for

well true there is more than one way to skin a cat BUDDY
we all have our own ways of doin the same thing (the end result)

I use selcon as an additive to my fishes food to insure better health, for my purple tang
lots of algae (seaweed) to keep tangs healthy, i use lil algae pads with garlic (keeps him fat )

i would not use copper with an anenome in your tank or any corals of any kind, copper will absorb on to LR and will leach back into your tank for months to come
for me copper is a last resort
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

and copper is only to be used in a quarantine tank, if its introduced to your display tank, you can kiss a reef tank goodbye. will kill everything but the fish.