Attitudes across forums

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

JRA95SHO
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Attitudes across forums

Post by JRA95SHO »

Well according to the a***h***s on Reef Central, I am going to kill all of my fish; just a matter of how stressful I am going to make them while doing it and that most of what I want will not do well in a 100 gal or smaller tank. I think I'm about done asking questions on these reef sites, especially reef central. Folks on the car forums aren't near as bad.

I'll pop on here and check to see when you're ready for the order and maybe respond to some frag trades or something; but I've already learned in this hobby, everyone does their own thing and has their own opinion. Do what works for you; if you kill stuff, learn from mistakes, but don't dare ask questions!

I'll be checking the buy/sell/trade stuff mostly.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Live Aquaria Group Order

Post by Amphiprion »

Don't ever NOT ask questions. It doesn't matter how simple it would seem. Don't let RC get to you--it's as simple as that.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

while snorvich might not have replied properly he is 100% correct about all those tangs being added to a 100 gal tank with a yellow tang in it already. I think one thing that is different about aquariums and their forums vs car forums is that these are live animals we are dealing with, not cars. If you are around long enough and visit enough forums it gets frustrating seeing people say they want to put 5 large tangs in an aquarium because they have a friend who does it, after posting they already lost one tang, and their current tang has Ich.

I think more often than not people will tell you not to put that many fish in a 100 gal tank. And to be honest Andy has always been on the extreme end with fish and coral. His tanks are always packed, and yes he has had success. I met you up at B&B that day Andy was looking at those clown tangs and do you remember what I said to Andy? I don't remember the exact wording but I questioned him when he said he wanted to get the clown tang for the tank. Something like don't you have a lot of tangs already.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Amphiprion wrote:Don't ever NOT ask questions. It doesn't matter how simple it would seem. Don't let RC get to you--it's as simple as that.
It was Snorvich, as Drew mentioned, that responded. The self-anointed RC Fish-Lord.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost. ... count=5009

Anyhow, read the post, specifically the planned stocklist, which to me, looks like he wants to add on to the fish he already has... My sentiments mimic Food's. While Snorvich may have gone about responding in a way that's more prone to running people out of the hobby, than it is to helping them, he's pretty much right on.

IMHO, based on the current stock list, I think there's really only room for the smaller fish on his planned addition list. There's simply no more room for another tang. A Clown tang get's massive and aggressive (I wouldn't even keep one in our 240gal), a Thompsoni tang is an open-water swimmer, the Powder Blue is an ICH magnet, and the Blue Hippo also gets huge (Back in S. Florida, there was a retailer that had a few 12"-14" Hippo Tangs in their ~ 4000 gallon tank).
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

i have a yellow tang in my tank, and thought i'd add a yellow eye tang... yeah right.. my yellow tang bullied it to death, made it so sick that he was unable to recover in a hospital quarantine tank... infact, he lost his life to a power head because he was to weak to swim away.

a 100 gallon tank has great length for tangs that need swimming room but unfortunately isnt very deep so it limits you in some aspects. I would personally keep no more than three but then again you may have room for more depending on what other fish you have and how much liverock you have. In example, andys tank... I love andys tank and he does have a lot of tangs... but he also has a lot of liverock and corals and with the height of his tank, that gives his fish plenty of hiding spaces and territories to cut back on aggression. my tank on the other hand has maybe 4 holes/caves for a tang to fit in; swim through and 1 of those is always occupied by my yellow tang (depending on his mood and which one he chose for the day :lol: ) and the other by a very aggressive angel fish ( :twisted: ) unfortunately i learned the hard way by adding another tang but i wouldn't have learned unless i tried. you learn through trial and error in this hobby but i would definitely research your fish before buying anymore. speaking of which, i remember reading about you getting this tank... wheres the pictures? i wanna see a FTS! :P
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

AuroraDrvr wrote:
Amphiprion wrote:Don't ever NOT ask questions. It doesn't matter how simple it would seem. Don't let RC get to you--it's as simple as that.
It was Snorvich, as Drew mentioned, that responded. The self-anointed RC Fish-Lord.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost. ... count=5009

Anyhow, read the post, specifically the planned stocklist, which to me, looks like he wants to add on to the fish he already has... My sentiments mimic Food's. While Snorvich may have gone about responding in a way that's more prone to running people out of the hobby, than it is to helping them, he's pretty much right on.

IMHO, based on the current stock list, I think there's really only room for the smaller fish on his planned addition list. There's simply no more room for another tang. A Clown tang get's massive and aggressive (I wouldn't even keep one in our 240gal), a Thompsoni tang is an open-water swimmer, the Powder Blue is an ICH magnet, and the Blue Hippo also gets huge (Back in S. Florida, there was a retailer that had a few 12"-14" Hippo Tangs in their ~ 4000 gallon tank).
I don't disagree with what he said (I may be a bit more conservative than even he is), but I highly disagree with the common lack of tact and glaring condescension many members show. Being aware of that fact, I don't let it get to me and nor should anyone else let it get to them.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
JRA95SHO
Amoeba

Post by JRA95SHO »

Well thank you all for your helpful advice without saying it in a smartass kind of way.

I guess I should have gotten a larger tank then since most of the stuff I want requires an even larger tank. :(

With the blue hippo, I was going to get a small one. The clown tang, I've kind of scratched off the list even though they're cool as hell. I really miss my Thompson's tang and my other favorite is a Carribean Blue / Atlantic Blue tang. So you guys are saying 3 small / medium tangs would be too much for a 100 gal. then? I thought about getting 2 more small ones; when they outgrow the tank, sell them and get small ones again.

As for small fish, there's not much I really like or want. I have a cool coral beauty angel, but since they're aggressive, I can't pile those in together. I have a watchman goby (pink spotted maybe?), but I want a yellow one. I like the blue carribean chromis. Damsels look cool but are mean. Not sure what small fish I'd put in there. I have 2 clown fish that do very well. I also want a midas blenny.

Any suggestions? I know alot of you are coral folks and I do like the corals too, but my favorites are the fish. I do plan on getting some additional corals, maybe some more inverts, etc. I just really like the tangs, but they're a pain in the butt apparently.

I picked up a 10 gallon qt tank with accessories off CL for $10. I set it up in my spare bedroom. All of my fish have improved from the ich, but the yellow still has some on him. I'm debating on treating him in the qt tank; however, some said if my whole tank is exposed, I need to remove ALL fish. I don't think it'd be wise to cram 10 fish in a tiny 10 gal. to medicate them. I got a smaller qt tank because I simply don't have alot of room for a larger one. I'm sort of trying to do it the right way, but then I'm running into limits with too small of a qt tank. I'm a little frustrated right now with this.

I will get some pics up soon of the tank. I'll try to take more and post them on here in a separate thread. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread.
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

I have an old 30 gallon you can have for free if you want to set up a quarantine tank. how bad is the ich on the yellow tang? problem is, if youre not going to treat the whole tank, then there isnt much sense in a quarantine tank simply due to the fact that once its released back with the other fish, youre starting your ich life cycle all over again with that fish. on a side note, if you were to put the yellow tang in the 10gallon to treat it, sometimes it can add mroe stress to the fish making its ich worse. if you could get your hands on a 3rd tank, (like i said ill give you a 30 gallon) then you could seperate your fish in 3 other tanks while your main display tank recovers and the ich dies off. of course youd have to treat the fish though otherwise the step is pointless. you could put your clownfish in one, your tang and angel in the 30, and your cardinals and blennys in the 3rd. dose them and let your main tank remain empty for at least 4 weeks; you can leave your crabs and shrimp in the tank, they dont carry ich and copper will kill them in a qt tank. But, dosing with copper is always a last resort.

what are you feeding your fish? as for tangs and based on what you have already, you could add 2 more tangs and maybe a small fish or two

if you want to add more tangs, PICK 2 of these, not all ;D
1x powder brown tang
1x powder blue tang
1x blue hippo tang
1x bristletooth tang
1x yellow eye tang
1x purple tang
or 1x convict tang

hopefully you will have success keeping 3, but again i wouldnt keep anymore than 3 tangs in your tank simply because they will kill each other off, especially since you already have a yellow tang. Good luck!
JRA95SHO
Amoeba

Post by JRA95SHO »

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't mind picking up that 30 gal. if you want to send me a message with the details. The yellow tang is looking better; he has some spots but he's not too bad. He's pretty active and is eating.

Out of those tangs you listed, I'd probably rather have the blue hippo and powder blue. Figures you didn't list the Thompson tang or the Atlantic Blue tang. :P

Thanks!
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

JRA95SHO wrote:Well thank you all for your helpful advice without saying it in a smartass kind of way.

I guess I should have gotten a larger tank then since most of the stuff I want requires an even larger tank. :(

With the blue hippo, I was going to get a small one. The clown tang, I've kind of scratched off the list even though they're cool as hell. I really miss my Thompson's tang and my other favorite is a Carribean Blue / Atlantic Blue tang. So you guys are saying 3 small / medium tangs would be too much for a 100 gal. then? I thought about getting 2 more small ones; when they outgrow the tank, sell them and get small ones again.

As for small fish, there's not much I really like or want. I have a cool coral beauty angel, but since they're aggressive, I can't pile those in together. I have a watchman goby (pink spotted maybe?), but I want a yellow one. I like the blue carribean chromis. Damsels look cool but are mean. Not sure what small fish I'd put in there. I have 2 clown fish that do very well. I also want a midas blenny.

Any suggestions? I know alot of you are coral folks and I do like the corals too, but my favorites are the fish. I do plan on getting some additional corals, maybe some more inverts, etc. I just really like the tangs, but they're a pain in the butt apparently.

I picked up a 10 gallon qt tank with accessories off CL for $10. I set it up in my spare bedroom. All of my fish have improved from the ich, but the yellow still has some on him. I'm debating on treating him in the qt tank; however, some said if my whole tank is exposed, I need to remove ALL fish. I don't think it'd be wise to cram 10 fish in a tiny 10 gal. to medicate them. I got a smaller qt tank because I simply don't have alot of room for a larger one. I'm sort of trying to do it the right way, but then I'm running into limits with too small of a qt tank. I'm a little frustrated right now with this.

I will get some pics up soon of the tank. I'll try to take more and post them on here in a separate thread. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread.
The Caribbean Blue Chromis are pretty cool, and they group a lot better than the standard Blue/Green Chromis, a small group of those and the Midas would be be fine.

If you must have another tang, I would really only recommend one more at the very most. Any of the "Kole" tangs would be best, with the Atlantic Blue or the Powder Blue sufficing. If you don't plan to QT and treat all the fish, I'd especially skip the Powder. The problem with buying small and selling big, it's quite hard to sell large fish. It's hard to sell fish in general (more-so than coral), but even harder to sell big fish. Tangs also grow like weeds, and you may need to sell them before even a year has passed.
Buddy08
Copepod

Re: Attitudes across forums

Post by Buddy08 »

its an older tank and the top brace is a little loose but it holds water and if it was in your budget, you could run a beam of silicone along the top of the brace and it will secure it snug. its taking up space in my study currently lol