T5 or LED... that is thy question.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Buddy08
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

T5 or LED... that is thy question.

Post by Buddy08 »

Currently running 4x 48" 54 watt t5's w/ reflectors and considered adding 2 more totaling 6.... then i thought to myself, might as well blow some more money and get build an LED fixture. Anythoughts?
JRA95SHO
Amoeba

Re: T5 or LED... that is thy question.

Post by JRA95SHO »

If you can afford the LEDs, go for it. A few weeks ago, I had to go to Ft. Lauderdale for work, so I decided to check out some LFSs around town. There was one called Reef's Edge that had just got a new LED setup in their coral display tank. They had it off when I was in the store (small store, I was the only customer in there). The owner turned it on so I could see the difference, and WOW, they really bring out the colors in the coral. I took some cell phone pics, but they are really crappy and blurry. My BB takes horrible pictures.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

JRA95SHO wrote:If you can afford the LEDs, go for it. A few weeks ago, I had to go to Ft. Lauderdale for work, so I decided to check out some LFSs around town. There was one called Reef's Edge that had just got a new LED setup in their coral display tank. They had it off when I was in the store (small store, I was the only customer in there). The owner turned it on so I could see the difference, and WOW, they really bring out the colors in the coral. I took some cell phone pics, but they are really crappy and blurry. My BB takes horrible pictures.
Reef's Edge is an excellent store, that brings in really nice stuff, corals, fish, inverts, etc. We used to visit them religiously. :)

I personally hate LED's. I would go with T5HO's. The bulb combos are endless, and you can damn near tweak your lighting preference to any color under the sun.
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

im looking at cost efficiency, t5's will run more with the power bill, will need replacing every 8 to 12 mos, and are heating up my living room therefore making the ac run more. leds will last me roughly 10 years. be more energy efficient, and wont run up my powerbill with the ac running. I am considering keeping 2x T5's in the tank to add some fiji purple but at this point i think im ready to make the plunge and buy the LED's.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

If you're looking for cost savings, then go for it.
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

what would be better for the corals? i want to add an anemone, few clams, and a few sps's. I could add 2 more t5's making it a total of 6 t5's at 54watts each, or i can dump 600$ into led's with dimmable drivers and so forth
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Buddy08 wrote:what would be better for the corals? i want to add an anemone, few clams, and a few sps's. I could add 2 more t5's making it a total of 6 t5's at 54watts each, or i can dump 600$ into led's with dimmable drivers and so forth
Either one would suit corals and fulfill their energy needs. As far as how the light looks to the eye, I would currently choose T5s over LEDs. With some more efficient daylight diodes in the future, I may change my mind. So far, though, halides look the nicest, despite energy and heat drawbacks. Until plasma arcs are readily available, I think that may remain the case.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium