calc and alk

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Buddy08
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

calc and alk

Post by Buddy08 »

what equipment and additives is everyone using to keep their numbers in check? I want to start keeping more SPS's but am having trouble keeping my alk and calc numbers in check. I would like to keep my calc around 460-480 and my alk between 8-10...
jt3069
Copepod

Re: calc and alk

Post by jt3069 »

HEY BUDDY COULD YOU PUT THIS IN THE KEEP YOUR PARA IN CHECK POST I THINK THIS WILL APPLY
THX
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Here is a link that can help you out on keeping your calc and alk in check

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

I used to dose B-Ionic 2 part, but I felt like I was still having too much swing in my numbers, so I decided to run kalk from my ATO. The thing about kalk (the way I understand it) is that it doesn't specifically raise either parameter, but maintains it at the current level or very close. Still not sure that I really understand/agree with that, but regardless, I can honestly say that since I've been dosing (beginning of July) my parameters are MUCH more stable and my SPS corals have really started growing. I've dosed Ca+ twice since I've started and have not had to dose Alk. I think it is one of the top two things I've done to my tank that is making my corals happy.

HTH
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

im about to order a 2 part kit from BRS to dose my tank with daily, debating if i should get automated pumps or not. any suggestions?
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Buddy08 wrote:im about to order a 2 part kit from BRS to dose my tank with daily, debating if i should get automated pumps or not. any suggestions?
Let me know when you are going to do the brs order. I was part of a group order years ago and still get a discount from that. Anyone who has ever been a part of a group order gets a discount. Anyway I could use some new RO filters so I wouldn't mind getting in on the order or putting it in of you don't have that discount. Some things are discounted and some things aren't. It isn't much but a few bucks here and there helps.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Buddy08 wrote:im about to order a 2 part kit from BRS to dose my tank with daily, debating if i should get automated pumps or not. any suggestions?
Automated pumps are convenient, yet not, all at the same time. Even the nicer ones experience changes in actual dosing rates over time, so you have to calibrate regularly. This can lead to imbalances otherwise. They also break, so that just means downtime. I love mine, but sometimes the above gets aggravating for me. If you think you'll be consistent manually dosing, then that is your safest bet.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

bluwtr wrote:I used to dose B-Ionic 2 part, but I felt like I was still having too much swing in my numbers, so I decided to run kalk from my ATO. The thing about kalk (the way I understand it) is that it doesn't specifically raise either parameter, but maintains it at the current level or very close. Still not sure that I really understand/agree with that, but regardless, I can honestly say that since I've been dosing (beginning of July) my parameters are MUCH more stable and my SPS corals have really started growing. I've dosed Ca+ twice since I've started and have not had to dose Alk. I think it is one of the top two things I've done to my tank that is making my corals happy.

HTH

It doesn't have much of a choice but to add either in equal amounts in terms of calcification, assuming there is enough CO2 (which is rarely an issue). It consists of one Ca++ ion and two OH- ions. Thats is similar to the 1:2 ratio of calcium and alkalinity found in coral skeletons. Demand, however, can skew that. It doesn't change the balanced nature of kalkwaser, though. That's where separate additives come in handy.
Andrew

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Amphiprion wrote: It doesn't have much of a choice but to add either in equal amounts in terms of calcification, assuming there is enough CO2 (which is rarely an issue). It consists of one Ca++ ion and two OH- ions. Thats is similar to the 1:2 ratio of calcium and alkalinity found in coral skeletons. Demand, however, can skew that. It doesn't change the balanced nature of kalkwaser, though. That's where separate additives come in handy.
This isn't exactly correct, sorry. There is a 1:1 ratio of Ca to CO3--. The extra OH- converts HCO3- to CO3--. Wan't thinking at the time.
Andrew

Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

pm sent from the buy or sale thread. for anyone else that hasnt seen it, possibly making a group order from BRS so if you want in, let me know
lwready
Amoeba

Post by lwready »

My retirement job is with Goodwill Easter Seals. Whatever you don't sell please donate to us. We use 100% of donations and 98% of the proceeds go directly to help un-employed people looking for work, people with disabilities, and early intervention services for children with special needs.
Larry

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. Gandalf