CHEATO INSTEAD OF NORI

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

jt3069
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

CHEATO INSTEAD OF NORI

Post by jt3069 »

JUST LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON USING CHEATO INSTEAD OF NORI
I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR SOME TIME, BECAUSE IT IS FREE AND CONSTANTLY GROWS

BUT WHAT IS EVERYONES OPINION ON DOING THIS ARE THERE ANY NEGATIVE EFFECTS VS. NORI?
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
JRA95SHO
Amoeba

Re: CHEATO INSTEAD OF NORI

Post by JRA95SHO »

Glad you asked this. I am wondering the same thing. My yellow tang is a dumbass for the most part, although healthy. He won't attach the nori attached to the mag float, even if I soak it in garlic; however, if I shake the mag float and let the nori break apart and float off into little pieces, he'll eat it. I guess he's scared of picking it off himself---I did see him try it once or twice the other day. Now, If I take a piece of chateo from the sump and put it in the main tank....he'll grab it as it floats around and he sucks that stuff down rapidly! I make sure he stays well fed since I lost my last one, and he was dificult to eat and got rather thin in the skin. This little guy has no problem eating though.

I read somewhere that the chateo doesn't have as good of a nutritional value (maybe it was on another forum, can't remember)....but you know how this hobby is. Someone will disagree with you no matter what.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

While you'll get individuals that seem to enjoy it, many will ignore it. They tend to like softer species/genera, like Caulerpa (which I don't typically recommend). You can give it a shot, as there is the chance herbivores, like tangs, may eat it, but most will not. Rabbitfishes, on the other hand, will be more likely to enjoy it, but they are less selective overall by comparison.

One thing about feeding algae that you've grown is the reintroduction of nutrients to the system. While feeding some here and there (with a net export) is fine, don't feed it all back if you use the algae as an export mechanism.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

I HAVE ALOT OF CHEATO SO I ONLY FEED A HAND FULL AND THROW OUT 78%
I HAVE 4 DIFFERNT TYPES OF MACRO GROWING IN MY FUGE SO I ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD DIVERSITY OF ALGAE

I COULD SEE ONLY FEEDING ONR TYPE CAUSING MALNUTRITION
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET