Aiptasia-X

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Dan-E
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Aiptasia-X

Post by Dan-E »

I have just discovered aiptasia growing on a rather large piece of LR in the center of my 100 gal.. Anyone familiar with this product (aiptasia-x)? Any comments or advice would be greatly apreciated. Should I put this piece of rock in a smaller tank while I treat it or just leave it be?
Fishfood
Chromis

Re: Aiptasia-X

Post by Fishfood »

I'm not familiar with Aiptasia-X but would recommend a few peppermint shrimp. I tried my hardest to make sure I didn't get aiptasia in my tank and low and behold I ended up with a few hitch hickers a piece of LR I got. This was after I aquascaped so I tried a few peppermint shrimp. Eventually they took care of all of them. The claim is they won't go after bigger aiptasia but they sure did a number on the few that were in my tank. If the aiptasia is on that rock there might be a good chance they are elsewhere, unless this was a recent addition.
Dan-E
Amoeba

Post by Dan-E »

thanks but I have a hawkfish that loves peppermint shrimp.... thats why I was thinking another route..
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

YES I AQUIRED THIS PRODUCT WHEN I BOUGHT A SETUP LONG TIME AGO
NEVER REALLY WORKED FOR ME ALSO LET A BUDDY HAVE IT AND NEVER WORKED FOR HIM EITHER
IT SEEMED TO STUN THEM FOR A DAY THEN RIGHT BACK LIKE THEY WERE

I USE KALK 2 AND MAKE A PASTE (WORKS EVERY TIME :D )
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

I use Joe's Juice. It seems to work very well, but I've recently added some shrimp too, because a lot of the Aiptasia in my tank are in spots I can't get to. I've not really noticed my shrimp going after them, but then again, my shrimp are never out in the light--only at night and then it's rare that I see them.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
lwready
Amoeba

Post by lwready »

I had a major Aiptasia infestation that had me contemplating getting out of the hobby. Aiptasia-X saved me and I love it. You do need to follow the directions, I suspect that is where people have been disappointed. You can't simply coat them or inject them. The instructions tell you to slowly approach their mouth and feed the formula to them, they take it right in and are gone, not to return, almost immediately!

If you are in Mobile and want to stop by I have a few that recently popped up and I will be happy to demonstrate so you can see how it works.
Larry

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. Gandalf
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I never saw my shrimp eat them either, but they disappeared within a month or two of adding the shrimp, and there were only about 5 or 6 in the tank. For those of you who can add some peppermint shrimp I'd do so after you take care of the aiptasia that you can see, because there are probably some in the tank you can't.
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

i have used aiptasia x, worked wonders for me. i never had aiptasia in my tank but did have 4 or 5 heads of majano come up. 2 syringes full of the solution killed them off if you follow the directions properly.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Now that I say I never see my shrimp, I saw two of them last night. One is a gravid female, so the corals will be eating pretty well soon!
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
mikester
Amoeba

Post by mikester »

aiptasia x is ok it only like make the aiptasia hide but they evently come back in about two weeks i use a dose of kalkwasser mix with hot water and inject them never had any problem after that
Innerarity Reefs
Copepod

Post by Innerarity Reefs »

I had a major infestation on about 300lbs of premium live rock. Im talking hundreds maybe thousands, I quarantined the rock for a month in a tank setup and running as normal because the live rock had coral on it too. I put 25 peppermint shrimp 2 filefish, and 2 copperbands, I think I fed the tank maybe once a week, but their diet and main food source available was...aiptasia. I found that Not feeding the livestock mentioned aboved kinda forced them to eat up the aiptasia. But in your home tank they wont always eat the aiptasia because they rather eat when you feed the tank....if that makes since. I have used the boiling water method and the kalk method to great sucess too....Oh and the live rock was clean and free of aiptasia after the month of quarantine.
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

honestly use aiptasia x as the directions advise and it will work, if it can kill majano, it can easily kill aiptasia.