Urchins

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

bluwtr
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Urchins

Post by bluwtr »

Does anyone know if B&B or Progressive have Diadmea or blue tuxedo urchins and if so, how much? I have red hair algae (NOT cyano) and have tried several things with no luck. My turbos wouldn't even eat it--figures :roll: . The two shops over here either can't get them or I can't get an answer. I've read that these two species will attack RHA and that's what I need.

Any other suggestions? I don't feel I have a bad nutrient problem; I skim kind of heavy, and don't feed very much, very often. Granted, I know--if you've got algae, you've got nutrients. I just changed my GFO two days ago as well.

While I really don't want to go chemical, I may get some API Marine Algae Fix. Used it a long while back and it worked on the algaes I had at the time with no affects on anything else in the tank, but I rather avoid it just the same.

Thanks in advance.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
JRA95SHO
Amoeba

Re: Urchins

Post by JRA95SHO »

I have been to B&B probably weekly over the last month and a half being a "newbie" and constantly wanting to go crazy buying crap to put in my tank. I have not seen a tuxedo there; only pin cushion urchins and spiny urchins, both of which I bought, lol. I've been to Progressive twice in the last 2 months, and I don't recall seeing any there.

I will tell you, however, that Petland in Pensacola had a Tuxedo a couple of weeks ago. It was either orange or blue, can't recall. I want to say it was orange because I prefer the blue ones as well. I was going to buy it, but it was like $30 bucks so I passed. I'm sure they still have it. Not sure if it's worth the drive to you.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Re: Urchins

Post by bluwtr »

Thanks JRA, yeah P'Cola is too far for me to drive for that. $30 is about what they sell for online, but the good news is that the spiny one you saw is usually the Didema species. There is an Atlantic spiny and that may be what it is however. Going to Mobile today, so I will swing in and see.

Thanks for the headsup.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails