GRRRR!!! I'm at my wits end!!!

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: GRRRR!!! I'm at my wits end!!!

Post by Amphiprion »

Yeah, the peroxide radicals will wreak havoc on pretty much anything organic, including the molecules of living organisms, like bacteria. Higher organisms, like worms, crustaceans, etc. will also suffer.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
bluwtr
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by bluwtr »

Yeah, it's funny how people don't realize just how nasty it is. It has been used many times in the past as rocket fuel as well as propellant for torpedos. When people put it on cuts they think the foaming is from bacteria, when actually it is reacting with red blood cells. It's actually very bad for cuts because it lysis the cells that are exposed.

I'm reading the articles that you linked and in the nano forum almost everyone says that their corals did get cranky, but none actually died (except Xenia). I'm thinking I may have to dip and dose the tank.

Thanks again.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Well after having read up much more on the H2O2, I began dosing yesterday. I've not noticed a change in the algae, but from everything I've read it takes a minimum of 3 days to see any results. I have noticed however, that where I put the H202 into a spot of the algae, that spot has now turned a light pink from a dark almost maroon red. I may end up dipping each rock even though that is my last resort as I don't want to break my tank down again. None of my corals seem bothered by the dose however, my SPS initially retracted their polyps, but 4 hours later and they are back out. I guess it just irritates them a bit, but again, from what I've read that was to be expected.

I added two more species of urchins today as well. I believe that in war you can never have enough weapons!

Will update in a few days.
Wes

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

The threads that were recommended talked about dipping and systemic dosing. I started doing a systemic dose a week ago Friday with little effect, however, I dipped a couple of rocks a few days later, and let me tell you, BAM!!! The colors go from deep maroon--light pink--translucent pink--clear---and gone. That crap works. Within an hour or so, the algae turns and actually glows under my actinics and moon lights. I even dipped the AOG palys and some Zoa's that were attached and they could have cared less. They didn't even slime. When doing the systemic dose, the only coral that didn't like it was my Goniopora. The polyps retracted for a few hours, but they came back out and were fine. I figured that once I get 90-95% of it killed my CUC would keep the rest under control, but if I could dip every rock I would.

Today was WC day, so I added about 2.5 gallons of tank water to a bucket, dumped in a bunch of H2O2 and proceeded to tear down my rock work and dip each rock for 3-5 minutes. I've put the tank back together as best I could with basically only a few rock back to where they were originally and all of my corals are doing fine except two. My Xenia and Goniopora are both looking puny, but in my research it seems that Xenia is the only coral that will die from the H2O2. I think the Goniopora is just pissed off. All of my SPS, LPS, Zoa's and palys are happy as can be.

The urchins and sea hare seem to eat it more when it's dying as well. I'm sure it must be much easier to digest because I'm sure the cellulose is breaking down. On some of my rocks this crap was really bad. On those I did a second treatment by holding the rock in my hand and pouring the hydrogen peroxide over it and letting it sit for a couple of minutes. Those pieces are showing the best results of them all. I can say how relieved I am being able to kill this garbage. BTW, both RBTA's are happy as well.

If anyone is interested in treating algaes this way, let me know and I will walk you through it.
Wes

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Glad to hear everything worked out for the most part. It works quite well on annoying freshwater algal species, as well, like "black beard" algae.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

WELL OF ALL THINGS WE HAVE FINALLY FOUND SOMETHING TO KILL XENIA :D
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Mine isn't dead, but it sure looks puny. I am SO FREAKING glad to kill this crap. You guys have no idea just how bad it had gotten. Very weird how it just exploded. Oh, well, at least I have a solution. Thanks to all for the advice.
Wes