GRRRR!!! I'm at my wits end!!!

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

bluwtr
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

GRRRR!!! I'm at my wits end!!!

Post by bluwtr »

Okay, so I'm about pissed off and I'm at my wits end trying to solve this problem. I've got red hair algae in my tank and this crap has EXPLODED. Just to be clear it is NOT cyano. This is an actual algae that also goes by the name of "wire algae" and that name fits. You can't pull this junk off. You can't scrape this crap off. Lights out isn't going to work because I've got some of it growing on the underside of my LR that is in total shade and it is just as happy as can be. I'm skimming heavier, I'm doing my WC as scheduled, I blow off my LR with a baster to help keep detritus down, I'm using 3:1 blue to white lights with the blues on most of the time. I'm dosing API Marine AlgaeFix. I bought an urchin that is supposed to eat it--nope, or not from what I can tell. I bought a sea hare, and it is eating it, but I don't know if it will really help, because it just mows it and doesn't scrape the rocks, there fore leaving parts to regrow. My turbo's had died and I hadn't replaced them, but I got one yesterday and it too seemed to eat it, but who the hell really knows. My next purchase is going to be a blue tuxedo urchin--they are supposed to eat it and urchins scrape the rock. I've stopped feeding everything including my fish. I will feed the fish about every 4 days and see if that helps. This crap is getting to the point where I am going to have to take my tank down. It is that bad.

Please, someone give me a solution. I don't know what else to try/do.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: GRRRR!!! I'm at my wits end!!!

Post by Amphiprion »

Is this Gelidium/Gelidiopsis ( or similar), or someting like Asparagopsis? The former is practically impervious to anything/everything and the latter is nightmarishly invasive, but potentially controllable.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

My LFS has a poster on their wall and it's just listed as red hair algae or wire algae and looking at pics of all three genera I would say the best match is Gelidium.
Wes

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

I GOT SOME OF THAT STUFF FROM B AND B WHEN I BOUGHT CHEATO A WHILE BACK
I MANUALLY REMOVED IT
AND STARVED MY TANK OF PHOSPHATES AND NITRATES
I HAD TO REMOVE ALL FISH AND CORAL TO DO SO BUT LUCKILY I HAD ANOTHER TANK ALREADY SET UP IN THE KIDS ROOM
HOPE THIS HELPS
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunetly I don't have a second tank to go to. There is no way to manually remove this stuff I've got. It gets the name "wire algae" justly. Man the stuff is tough. I started a three day lights out period today also and I'm not feeding anything until the end of the week. I will update as things change.
Wes

jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

TRY TANGS OR HERBI FISH THEY USUALLY EAT THAT STUFF PRETTY QUICK
ALSO TRY CHEMICAL TREATMENTS I HAVE THIS STUFF THAT YOU COVER THE ALAGE WITH LIKE
APTASIA STUFF, YOU CAN HAVE IF YOU WANT I HAVE USED IT ONCE OR TWICE( IT WORKED)BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY HAIR
ALAGE TO USE IT ON
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

What is the product you are talking about? I would need a gallon of it!!! I am also using API Marine Algae Fix. I've thought about a tang as well.
Wes

jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

ILL POST IT WHE I GET HOME DONT HAVE IT AT WORK WITH ME LOL
ALGAE FIX DOESN'T COMBAT RED ALAGE OR HAIR ALAGE ONLY FREE FLOATING SINGLE CELL ALAGE
LIKE SLIM ALAGE ECT..........

THIS STUFF YOU COVER THE ALAGE ITS SELF AND IT EATS IT
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

I ALSO BELIEVE I HAVE THE LARGEST EMERALD CRAB IN THE WORLD AND IT GETS WHAT MY PURPLE TANG CANNOT
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

its called chem-marine stop hair alage
per bottle 100% reef safe/ made from all natural ingredients
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Not sure on the real details, such as dosage, etc., but many have had success with hydrogen peroxide on various nuisance algae species. A google search will turn up quite a bit. I've never used this method myself, as I'm not a fan of chemical treatments, short of using carbon and/or the occasional use of GFO. I did have some Gelidium in another system years ago, but it was extraordinarily slow growing (but tough) and never became an issue. I simply chipped away a portion of rock where it was growing and it never returned.
Andrew

jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

i would only suggest H2O2 to very experinced aquarist a lil over dose and you kill your whole tank in a flash
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.p ... 706&st=320

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/03/29/uses ... e-removal/

So can many other things. I think bluwtr knows to research things thoroughly before tossing them in--that is what I gather from his posts, anyway. That is why I noted the caveat about my level of experience using it (as in none, at least with marine systems). As with any particular chemical, the utmost care should be taken--even with the common "safe" remedies out there. Some of the worst scenarios can happen with supposedly safe ingredients, fwiw. It is a drastic option either way, I agree, but one to consider.
Andrew

jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

true i wasn't trying to put bluwtr down or say he didn't. If it came out that way i apologize
That said i have reasearhed H2O2 a good bit and while it is an option (it is not for me)
i beileve that the risks out ways the results

anyways

bluwtr i have this stuff that you can have and try for your self
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Hey guys, again, thanks for all of the info and suggestions. While I generally don't want to use chemicals, like I said this crap is out of hand. I will check on the chem-marine. No worries because I took no offense to anything said. I knew where everyone is coming from. On the forum that I invited folks to, hydrogen peroxide was suggested as a dip. The guy who suggested it said it was his last resort as well and he had tried everything else. He dipped each rock in a bucket for 3 minutes then rinsed in SW and replaced. My concern abou this is that H2O2 being such nasty stuff it is going to kill all or most of the bacteria on the rock along with most anything else it comes in contact with. I assume this would cause a cycle in my tank, which obviously I don't want. He said it worked like nothing he has ever seen however. He said the algae turned, several colors as it died and then just disolved. This stuff is definitely hell spawn! :twisted:
Wes