rodi unit

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: rodi unit

Post by Amphiprion »

bluwtr wrote:Buddy, RO/DI water is absolutely safe to drink. That is an old wives tale that keeps getting kicked around. The only thing in water that our bodies need/use is WATER. All of the minerals and other crap is due to 1) old piping, and 2) items added to the water system to prevent everyone from getting sick. Water does a couple of things in our bodies--most important is its function in bio-chemical reactions---enzymatic reactions, cellular respiration, osmotic balance, etc. It is also needed for lubrication and transport of wastes among other things. A long time ago people would/could get some needed minerals (such as iron) from their water supply due to poor diets, but in this day and age it's not necessary. The ONLY harm that can come from drinking RO/DI water is drinking too much of it too quickly, but this will happen with city, well, pond, ditch or RO/DI water. That causes flooding of tissues, destroys osmotic balance and basically dilutes Na+ and such from cells. This in turn causes a ton of problems, with death actually a possibility. Many years ago a person died in Mobile from drinking something like 5 gallons of water over a couple of hours to "wash the Devil from them".

So don't worry--drink away. It does taste like crap because there is nothing in it. It is very bland. You can add a little salt to give it flavor. Also, shaking the hell out of it to add O2 improves taste as well.

And this concludes our bio-chemistry lesson for the day boys and girls. :D
This is true and not all at the same time. The biggest concern with homemade ro/di water is the concern of bacteria, which readily coat post treatment surfaces. That is why I don't drink it.

As far as being harmful in and of itself, it depends upon the person and their lifestyle. Active folks and performance athletes run a slightly higher risk of hyponatremia/hypokalemia when they consume a lot of water. Mineral free water only exacerbates it. You don't need to drink 5 gallons to experience the effect in various circumstances. Most Americans consume more minerals than necessary, but there are still plenty of individuals it may affect. I suffered from a light case of hyponatremia when I was more active and drank about 1.5 gallons of water.

Edit: was rushed. To clarify, I had been on reduced sodium intake at the time and was drinking plain tap water, with occasional spring water.

On the fluoridation issue, the general consensus is that, while not as effective as topical fluoride, it can help poorer folks. The bottom line, however, is that most municipalities simply use too much. Most doctors are pushing for the lowest range found to be effective.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
bluwtr
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: rodi unit

Post by bluwtr »

Very good points. :)
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails