rodi unit

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

jt3069
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

rodi unit

Post by jt3069 »

okay first off im an idiot

that said i need new filters in my rodi unit (didn't think about this till i saw air fire ice's special
what filters do i need i have the regular thyphoon 3 , 5 stage unit
i know how to do the first three (lol)
but have no clue on the other two ive always took it to progressive once a year
but do to funds this year im forced to diy

so any help is greatly appreciated
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: rodi unit

Post by Amphiprion »

You should only need to replace the first three. If they are taken care of (and low tds), membrane and di resin should last for years. How often have you been replacing the first three prefilters? Those need replacement at least every six months.

On my unit, for example, the current membrane is about 2 years old and the DI resin is probably three years old. It still outputs zero TDS water. It costs me about $80 per year to replace everything, except when the membrane and/or resin needs replacement, which isn't often.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

i have well water so my water intake is pretty nasty i do the first three as you stated but i can tell the other two need replaceing when it starts making water really slow
it takes 3-4 to make 5 gallons (normally would take 30min to make that much water
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

since your water is coming from a well, you may have a hard time with pressure in result of slow creation of ro water, i would look into a booster and see if that helps
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Do you have a TDS meter and pressure gauge? You really need both to determine replacement, not necessarily always flow volume, which is extremely variable. Otherwise, you are likely spending money when you don't have to.
Andrew

jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

no i don't have either
but i have a psi guage on my water line coming in to the house it stays at 50 psi

my wife drinks my rodi water and it has an
off
taste about the time i need replacment filter

what should i look for or do here
or does anyone has a tds meter they will come check my water till i can get one?
i can give a frag or something ($)for some help
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

ro/di water is not good to drink, RO water is okay to drink and is physically the same thing you can buy in a grocery store. RO/DI on the other hand has been stripped of all its minerals which your body needs; therefore its bad for you. if someone was to drink it on a regular basis, they would need to replace those minerals with a diet or supplements and pills. it can also cause upset stomachs and diarrhea so fair warning. You can buy RO filters at lowes that are best for drinking water but i would steer away from drinking water from your RO/DI unit, its best left for the fishes.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I'd be willing to let you borrow mine, though I think schedule conflicts may be an issue. I don't usually get home until around 8 pm, tonight being an exception. I also usually work 6-7 days per week. If you can get to whichever LFS you frequent, they will likely have a meter. YOu can bring in a few samples of water from different stages (like post-membrane and post-resin) to find out what's going on. I know all of the local stores in Mobile have meters and don't mind doing this.
Andrew

jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

okay kool
so i need to take a sample after each filter to fine which ones have high tds

kool thx
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Buddy, RO/DI water is absolutely safe to drink. That is an old wives tale that keeps getting kicked around. The only thing in water that our bodies need/use is WATER. All of the minerals and other crap is due to 1) old piping, and 2) items added to the water system to prevent everyone from getting sick. Water does a couple of things in our bodies--most important is its function in bio-chemical reactions---enzymatic reactions, cellular respiration, osmotic balance, etc. It is also needed for lubrication and transport of wastes among other things. A long time ago people would/could get some needed minerals (such as iron) from their water supply due to poor diets, but in this day and age it's not necessary. The ONLY harm that can come from drinking RO/DI water is drinking too much of it too quickly, but this will happen with city, well, pond, ditch or RO/DI water. That causes flooding of tissues, destroys osmotic balance and basically dilutes Na+ and such from cells. This in turn causes a ton of problems, with death actually a possibility. Many years ago a person died in Mobile from drinking something like 5 gallons of water over a couple of hours to "wash the Devil from them".

So don't worry--drink away. It does taste like crap because there is nothing in it. It is very bland. You can add a little salt to give it flavor. Also, shaking the hell out of it to add O2 improves taste as well.

And this concludes our bio-chemistry lesson for the day boys and girls. :D
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
29nanomob
Copepod

Post by 29nanomob »

dont give it to ur kids... floride is added to tap water.
reefing just isnt the same living outside the glass....
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

well im no scientist but when my youngest son was a baby he got collic
really bad but we switched to making his bottles with my rodi water and
he never had a problem again
we have been drinking it ever since, well my wife i have a huge coke-cola addiction
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Yes it is, but so does toothpaste. Some municipalities no longer add it however. There are actually some studies (as always, right?) about giving fluoride to children--you know, is it safe, does it cause this/that/the other etc. Personally, I don't think it hurts a thing.

I'm a Dr. Pepper man myself.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

Have always read that it can cause stomach problems. Cant find any research or documentation that it is infact "safe" to drink so therefore i avoid it until otherwise proven its safe. I will stick with my good ole sweet tea ;D
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I just got my replacement filters from brs. I got the 4 stage replacement pack plus a 75gpd membrane to replace my 35gpd membrane. I already had extra DI resin to replace the old stuff. I didn't test anything but I know everything but the membrane was over a year old. The membrane had to be 5 or 6 yrs old maybe older.