I'm Back!

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Kresnahw22
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

I'm Back!

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Hey guys I'm officially getting back into the hobby. I'm using a 20 gallon long. Right now its a FOWLR. For filtration right now its just two HOB underrated filters. But in the future I'm gonna have a aquaclear HOB filter rated for a 40 gallon and I will try and convert one of the filters I'm currently using (its kinda translucent and will allow adequate light into it) in as a makeshift refugium with some live rock rubble and some cauplera macroalgea for nutrient control. For lighting since the tank is so shallow I'm will try the odyssea t5 high ho its 24" 96w and has 2× actinic, 2× 12000 or 14000k bulbs and led moonlights. Will this be enough for the corals listed later on as the metal halide I had was too incredibly strong (it was also odyssea made).

The inhabitants are:

Fish:
Blue/Green Chromis

Invertebrates:
Two dwarf misc hermit crabs
Two large hermits we have locally at the beaches (gotta rehome them or release them back, if anyone wants them let me know)
Two nass. Snails

For in the near future inhabitants:

Fish:
Yellow watchman goby

Invertebrates:
4 more misc. dwarf hermits
4-6 various algae eating snails
tuxedo pincushion urchin
pistol shrimp for my goby (which would work best for my goby?)

Corals:
Candy cane frags (lps)
Maze brain frags (lps)
Superman monti. (Sps)
Maybe a birdnest frags (sps)
Hammer coral or frogspawn frags (lps)
Maybe a red montipora frag (sps)

Please comment and add your suggestion looking forward to hear them.

Still blurry from sand.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: I'm Back!

Post by Amphiprion »

Lighting shouldn't be an issue for the corals you've listed.

Good to hear you're back in the game. Looks like the tank is off to a very good start, too.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Amphiprion wrote:Lighting shouldn't be an issue for the corals you've listed.

Good to hear you're back in the game. Looks like the tank is off to a very good start, too.
Thank you would you say all the inhabitants are OK listed and does it sound overstocked I don't want to make the same mistakes again like last time I got algae out the a$$ end which drove me away sorta. But thanks for the help. May I ask one more thing tribal blennies would he coexist with a watchman goby if placed into the same tank.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Fish-wise, it doesn't necessarily sound overstocked. It all depends upon what the system can handle as a whole. As far as the blenny and goby go, I'd make sure the watchman goby is in there first. Blennies, in general, have more of a reputation of becoming bullies, but they should coexist, as long as both have adequate places to hide. This will lessen the chances of issues a bit. Beyond that, it will depend upon the individual personalities of each fish.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Amphiprion wrote:Fish-wise, it doesn't necessarily sound overstocked. It all depends upon what the system can handle as a whole. As far as the blenny and goby go, I'd make sure the watchman goby is in there first. Blennies, in general, have more of a reputation of becoming bullies, but they should coexist, as long as both have adequate places to hide. This will lessen the chances of issues a bit. Beyond that, it will depend upon the individual personalities of each fish.
Ok thank you for the info.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Tank has cleared up a lot.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Only my hermit crab. Walked in and saw him just chilling on the powerhead.

If anyone wants them they can have them. Gotta get rid of them. They are excellent cleaners and are great in any FOWLF as they like coral. They are the local species around here. But free to who ever comes and get them. I Have two.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

My newest addition.

A Wheller's Prawn Goby. He has vibrant colors and he got some adjusting to do but he's less skittish and actually eats flake foods.

Chromis is checking him out and hopefully they'll enjoy each others company. This is my first every goby I've had. One quick question how easily will a tiger pistol shrimp pair with this little Guy. Hope you guys enjoy and comment.