6 gal fluval edge

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

keeganpsp
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

6 gal fluval edge

Post by keeganpsp »

so ive got a 6 gal fluval edge, long story short it was set up and crashed about 3 months ago, i dodnt have time for the weekly water changes. i was wondering would it be possible for me to seal up the back brace of the tank stand and put a mini internal skimmer on it and not have to worry about the water changes and just let it run? also i plan on getting rid of the panorama leds on it and going to the mr12 bulbs so i can drop the canopy back on top, would two of these bulbs be enough for softies cause thats really all i plan on having in there? thanks much in advance for all the help!
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: 6 gal fluval edge

Post by Amphiprion »

It would likely be just enough to squeak by--you'd be pushing it either way. The MR12s are not terribly bright. As far as the back portion, you may be able to fit an extremely small skimmer, but most tiny ones aren't effective enough to be that much help and certainly not enough to negate water changes. You are probably still better off just doing water changes on a reasonable basis. 6g should be pretty easy and straightforward--about a gallon or so weekly would be plenty, though you could do a bit more with no issues. You could also try growing some of the less invasive macroalgae species to help with N and P between changes. That may lessen the need for water changes as far as reducing those two macronutrients. You'd still want to run carbon or something to adsorb organics.

You may want to look at some of the MR16 mods online...
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium