thoughts,opinions,views on ecotech radion

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

jt3069
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

thoughts,opinions,views on ecotech radion

Post by jt3069 »

as the title says may go this rought instead of diy leds
i know progressive has one but haven't seen rich do anything with it
seems he's still playing with the al sols
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Re: thoughts,opinions,views on ecotech radion

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

I think its pretty bad ass but very pricey ! Aquastlye online has some pretty good prices
100 gallon mixed reef
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

It is a cool fixture for certain, as it essentially has more bells and whistles than the rest. Will it grow things better? Likely not. The AquaIllumination Sol is tough to beat--it is brighter, cheaper and uses comparable LEDs, but doesn't have the feature base and fine controllability. I suppose it depends upon what your priorities are as to which fixture you'd prefer.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

from my understanding the ai sols do not have the rest of the color spectrum, just blue and white
ill be switching from 14k pheonix 250wx2

so i want to keep the color but not the electric bill
waybe get an apex jr and the wxm module
it would be nice to control it all from my phone
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

ai leds provide more lighting and higher par than the radions. the color is nice as well, plus its been cut in price since the radions came out. yes the radions have more features but how many features does your tank need? as long as it provides adequate lighting and an enjoyable look... theres no sense in paying anymore money than you have to. its all a preference though. I personally like the DIY led fixtures
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

jt3069 wrote:from my understanding the ai sols do not have the rest of the color spectrum, just blue and white
ill be switching from 14k pheonix 250wx2

so i want to keep the color but not the electric bill
waybe get an apex jr and the wxm module
it would be nice to control it all from my phone
The Cree LEDs on the AI have a decent spectrograph. It would provide enough spectra for our purposes as it is--beyond that, much of the guesswork about spectral "needs" is just that. I think the Radion may be somewhat of a result of stabbing in the dark in that respect, but that is my opinion. Then again, I'm still of the opinion that intensity trumps spectra up to a certain point, anyway--there are a lot of people that would disagree with that and who continually look for a "holy grail" for lighting that may not exactly be what they are looking for. I'd like to believe that we actually have both spectrum and intensity covered (and have for a while, minus efficiency, which is needed as everything progresses), as demonstrated by many tanks. It's like we're trying to re-invent the wheel when we should be making everything else work together a bit better toward the bigger picture. JMO, though.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

lol to an extent you are right
but i believe that instead of reinventing the wheel, we are fine tuning it lol
with my aquariums i always try to stay,or be as close to the way the ocean works
with the controllable functions of ramping the light up (in spectrum, and intensity)which may have no effect(that we know of)on corals
but its the way the ocean works!!
and with the lunar cycle software that is about the be released, it would save me on a lunar module for apex jr.
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET