Mobile Bay Water

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

stampercody
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Mobile Bay Water

Post by stampercody »

Has anyone tries adding real Mobile bay water to reef tank? Maybe a small amount for bacteria?
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Mobile Bay Water

Post by Amphiprion »

Actually, introduction of bacteria, dinoflagellates, ciliates, etc. would be a concern, which doesn't even take toxins (both synthetic from the aforementioned organisms) into account. I suppose if you were to use it and had native fishes, winter would be the best time, but using it at all is an unnecessary risk. Synthetic sea salt mixes can be obtained easily and relatively cheaply and the same applies to purified water. Without a reasonably clean source of natural seawater available locally, it is honestly not worth it. I know some folks who have used it without visible issues, but they (nor anyone else for that matter) don't know what underlying issues it may cause or long term complications that may arise from using it. If it were reasonably consistent in terms of salinity and we had someone (institution, business, etc.) to filter it like some places, I probably wouldn't mind using it, though.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Really depends on where it's pulled from. As Andrew mentioned, bacteria and pollutants are a huge issue with Mobile Bay. You would also need to go pretty far south to find an area that has correct-ish salinity. The gulf is fairly low salinity as it is, then mix in the two rivers, you'll end up pulling from the Gulf, you'll need to travel so far south.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Isnt our area bad in the Gulf area at certain times of the year with red tide from dinoflagent toxins also from all the nutrients and pollution.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Kresnahw22 wrote:Isnt our area bad in the Gulf area at certain times of the year with red tide from dinoflagent toxins also from all the nutrients and pollution.
Yes, especially in the warmer months. The (often) significantly lower salinity also encourages other nasties like Vibrio sp. If anything, it is slightly safer in the winter and usually somewhat more saline, but still far from appropriate. Agricultural runoff is also often lower in the winter, as is silt introduction from local rivers. Again, still not up to snuff as far as our standards go. You can almost always bet that any location near rivers and major ports are a poor place to collect water.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

In South Florida there are many, many LFS that collect and resell ocean water. They usually put it through UV, Carbon and Sand Filters prior to selling it. It was by far the BEST water I've ever used in an aquarium. Even the high dollar salts were no match.

If you're still considering using bay water, watch a freighter or cruise liner run through the bay.. Watch the slick of pollutants that follow their wake. :shock:
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Sounds like death in a bucket to me. Plus bay water is full of silt also and clarity isn't to peak.
stampercody
Amoeba

Post by stampercody »

Ha, Yeah death in a bucket. I won't take the risk. I sometimes fish 5-10 miles offshore, maybe I will take a look at that water next time. Thanks