My New Tank Build

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

strout2
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: My New Tank Build

Post by strout2 »

AddictedToReefs wrote:If its a used pump just unscrew the impeller housing and clean the impeller, always works for me!
Brand new, went with new pumps all the way around for the new tank. Its all good though, the old pump is working and the LFS will make good on the bad pump, no worries there.
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

sweet, it's gotta be a good feeling when you get it all going
cant wait for sum water in tank pics
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

More bad news, the hits just keep on coming. I bought one new MP 40 for the new tank, I already had one MP40 on the old 125g tank that was at most 6 months old and was working just fine when I shut down the 125g. Now it seem it has a problem and is making a noise, not a good one, not sure whats up with that but I shut it down.
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

Day Off today so made a little progress. After soaking the MP40 wet side in vinegar for a few hours, hooked that up and had the same noise. Called Brett at EcoTech, he had me hold the phone up to the dry side and said there is something wrong with it. His remedy, he is sending me a new wet and dry side, I will put the old one back in the box and mail it back to him. Can't beat that with a stick. Have the quarantine tank up and running also am making water for the Top Off tank. The one thing I have learned in this whole process, when you think you have enough water made, make another 150 gallons.
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

A Few new pics Went to a friends house today, picked up 2 Chromis for the tank, also got a piece of Live Rock, and a couple cups of sand. The white piece of PVC on the return line into the tank will be replace when the right part comes in.

strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

A fellow reefer came over to the house yesterday, he got the tank all hooked up. He got the AI LED lights all programmed and pretty much got everything in the sump area set up in the Neptune Apex controller. This controller is way cool, if you are thinking of getting one, spend the money for it, well worth it. Pretty much have the tank finished now and everything on line and running except the top off tank. Had a small mis fire with the top off tank, had a pin hole leak in it. Thats being fixed then we can get it on line.
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

A bit of info that might come in handy.
I just made two screen tops for my new tank set up, display tank 48x30x25 and a 29g quarantine tank. The screen I ordered from BRS, the metal for the border I got from Lowe's with the 5/16 inch corner pieces. The 29g top was made first and came out great, the display tank, not so good. After I made the top on the floor and put it on top of the tank, the top was racked a bit because the 48' metal on the front and back of the top was sucked in towards the middle of the top because I was trying to get the screen as tight as I could. I went back to Lowe's to get a thicker metal, they didn't carry it. Home Depot on the other hand did have a thicker metal that took a 7/16 corner pieces. Remade the top, came out perfect.
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

+1 on the apex system, i have hooked a apex jr, vdm and lsm module up on my tank and wow what a difference
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

We have a hitchhiker, he came out of a piece of live rock a friend was keeping for me. Not much in the tank for him to eat, I did put some seaweed in the tank for him, maybe he will eat that. I am pretty sure he is a emerald crab, not sure if they are good or bad

Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

yup, its an emerald crab. they're good guys. hopefully he will manage. the only bad thing about them is they tend to pick at live rock for food eating coralline and leaving bleached white spots on the rock where they ate but that eventually turns purple again in time so no harsh side effects of having one. they make great additions to your CUC. If he doesnt make it, you can always buy another for $5 at b&b
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

I put some pellet food in the tank and he ate some of that :)
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

man i lost mine after 3 years he was a good cucritter and never messed with any corals
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

I recived the Dry & Wet sides in the mail yesterday from EcoTech for the MP40 that was giving me problems. Both MP40s are up and running, what a great company to deal with.
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

:D :mrgreen: have a greaaat update this morning. No one has the Carberri Anthias and I have been looking everyday for like three weeks. I go into LiveAquaria last nite to set up a email alert just in case, I get the email alert this morning got 3 ordered with priority over night, so hopefully I will get a tracking number today saying they will be delivered tomorrow morning. They will be the first fish into the new quarantine tank.
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

goodluck, hope theyre eating. a place called pure reef in atlanta had some last time i was in the area, very high quality fish from those guys.i bought my anthias there