My New Tank Build

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

jt3069
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: My New Tank Build

Post by jt3069 »

great selection on the anthia very compatible with just about any other ones if you want more
watch them closely and stock up on food
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

I won't feel safe till I get the tracking number from UPS. I think Live Aquaria takes all orders then fills by who ordered first and I haven't gotten the tracking number yet:(
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

yeah i know the feeling, i have a hard time ordering online (i guess when i pay for something i like to have it in hand, plus u nerver really know what you bought until it arives)
never ordered from live aquaria
i got my anthias from blue zoo and they did pretty good won't be long ill i increase my school, my stock list for the 90 is 5 randall's anthias and 1 purple tang(already have the tang and 2 randall's)

but on another note how is the cycle in the tank coming?
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

I got the tracking number last nite from Fed Ex, the fish should be here in another hour or so :) I have ordered a fish thru Blue Zoo before, they did a good job and I expect nothing less from Live Aquaria, good company. The LFS owner says the tank is cycled and is letting me had a small cleanp up crew to the tank. LFS had one of the Wrasses I want :) come in yesterday, I didn't buy though :( I wanted to though :) but I added some pods to the tank and want them to do some breeding before I add something to the tank that eat on them. I will take some pics of the new fish tonight and post.
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

Well, have a great update and a not so great update. The fish came in, and are in good shape I didn't put them into the quarantine tank though, they went into the display tank, I know I shouldn't have done that, but I did. One stayed out all day swimming with the 2 G. Chromis and the Midas Blenny, the other two stayed hidden in the rocks all day, I didn't see any of the new fish eat though, they sure are a nice looking fish. I have been reporting everything I have done in the tank build, so I might as well report the bad also. Picked up a small sps frag from the store, I am planning to buy all my fish, slowly, before I buy corals for the tank, but I had to see what would happen with a coral in the tank. I would say that 80% of the coral died within 24 hours of it going into the tank. I figured that would happen, but was hoping that it didn't. I think the lights were to bright for it, the LFS owner isn't so sure, what ever the reason, I was a bit disappointed. Guess I won't be calling Andy any time soon :( :( As soon as all 3 fish are out swimming together, I will get a pic to post,
AddictedToReefs
Amoeba

Post by AddictedToReefs »

You used new sw,dry base rock and new sand right?
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

yea it seems like the tank would need more time to mature. I'd consider not adding anything for at least another month and feeding those fish a bit. That should push it through a cycle.
AddictedToReefs
Amoeba

My thoughts exactly. I mean had the rock and sand all been from a mature tank I could understand maybe adding fish so early, but definitely not with all base rock and new sand.
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

The rock wasn't what I would classify as dry, I had it in a tub of saltwater, heater and seasoned rubble fo 7 weeks, so not dry but almost. New sand and new saltwater also, although I did get two rather large sponges out of a friends sump, sure that helped a bit. Nothing else going into the tank for awhile though, I am picking up a few snails today, I think 4 or 5.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I think one thing that will help the process is the need to feed those anthias a few times a day. I don't think it will hurt to add cleanup crew either but man adding acros and anthias this early in the game is a little scary to me. Not putting them in the qt is possibly not terribly bad but you could control things there with those guys much easier and make sure they were eating and healthy. It is a fish that some would rather get into the display to make feel comfortable and get them eating that way however.
AddictedToReefs
Amoeba

+1
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

what is the wrasse that you were going to add?
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

A few pics, not the best but, the best we have right now. These pics are a bit blurry and do the Anthias an injustice, doesn't pick up the yellows and purples in them. The Wrasse I was thinking about getting from the LFS, but didn't was a Lubbocks Wrasse. Nothing else will be going into the tank for a month or two. I did buy a bottle or two of pods for the tank though.

Wilma, the Midas Blenny

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Skip the lubbucks and go with something a little more exotic. Live Aquaria had a trio of hooded fairies just yesterday I think. Pacific Island Aquatics had some nice earls fairy wrasses in as well.
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

I have a list, haven't researched them alot to make sure they will get along with each other.

1) For my high $$$ Wrasse, one of these 3,,, Lineatus Wrasse, Rhomboid Wrasse but I am leaning towards the Hawaiian Flame Wrasse because I think I can get a male/female pair easier
(2) Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse
(3) Carpenter's fairy Wrasse
(4) one of these three they kinda look the same (color wise) in the pics I have seen Scotts Fairy, Exquisite Fairy or Solorensis Clown Fairy Wrasse
(5) Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse
(6) Yellow Choris Wrasse