AEFW, Treatment and QT tank.... Help

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Buddy08
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

AEFW, Treatment and QT tank.... Help

Post by Buddy08 »

I have recently started to keep SPS corals and have had a few since november. Out of roughly 25 sps frags, I have lost 6 acros and may loose a few more due to STN. I have been struggling with polyp extension on my montis, digis, and millis since they were introduced into the tank and havent figure out the problem. Sadly to say, one of my newest frags is showing signs of AEFW... I have yet to find any evidence of their eggs on any of my acros but the frag (over a month old) now has small oval bite marks on its tissues. The frag was beginning to encrust (still is encrusting) and is showing great color but i'm afraid it may be infected with aefw. Still don't see any eggs on my other acros and this is the only one with these bite marks. I want to setup a frag tank to QT them from my main tank where I will treat them there until all signs have vanished. Problem is, I'll be moving back to birmingham in a month or 2 and don't want to setup another tank until I get settled in. I cant pin point where or when I obtained them as I have bought acro frags here and there from different vendors and people (wont list any names because there is no telling where they came from and sadly I never dipped my corals before putting them in the tank :cry: ).

Main question, what should I do? Anyone have any experience in dealing with these pests? Even advice on a frag tank would help so I know what to build when I build it.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: AEFW, Treatment and QT tank.... Help

Post by Amphiprion »

I've only dealt with them once and on a very small scale, which consisted of one specimen of Acropora. I used the general recommendation of fluke tab dips and repeated weekly until they were gone, which only took about 2 (did one extra to be safe, though) treatments for me--I also blasted off as many individuals as possible while dipping. If you have multiple specimens, it is obviously much harder and a quarantine is a must if you want to completely rid the corals of them. Of course, the best way to avoid all of this is to dip and quarantine before adding new specimens. This kind of stuff, honestly, is one of the few things I don't miss about having corals like Acropora.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

Yeah, I made that mistake. I guess I will try dipping them repeatedly until all signs are gone. its only one coral thats showing signs although the others had poor PE.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

You may be able to stave them off if you act quickly.
Andrew

Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

Its hard to tell if what im seeing is even signs of AEFW.. wish I had more experience with this sort of thing.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Well, the fluke tab treatment doesn't seem to be as harsh on corals as many things are. You could also try some of the other commercially available dips like Revive, blast the coral a bit, and see if you find any individual worms in the bottom of a container. That would at least let you know
Andrew

AWDJosh
Amoeba

Post by AWDJosh »

dancing shrimp are AEFW eaters...I'd buy a couple and give it a try.