Thinking of converting my 125G fresh to salt.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

av8erdunn
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Thinking of converting my 125G fresh to salt.

Post by av8erdunn »

I am toying with the idea of converting my 125G Fresh to Salt and want some input. I have had a reef about 3 years ago but got out of it after only a month due to time. I bought it second hand established so I said if I was to ever do it again I would start from square one.

This is what I am starting with.

The stand has two storage spaces where I have 2 canister filters right now.
They measure 16L x 20W x 19H so I am kind of limited on how much I can put in and I will probably have to custom make what ever I use but I am open to suggestions. If I want to do a FOWLR would I need a sump? Protein skimmer? I really just want a few O. clowns, a tang, and a few other fish, I just dont want to overstock it. I already have a 4 bulb T5 light; I will be ditching the two canisters and should I keep the HOB. What filter would you recommend?

I guess I am really just looking for an economical way to convert it. I know there is nothing economical about this hobby but there is also ways to go about it so you dont break the bank.

Here is my old reef!!!! It was a 40G breeder.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Re: Thinking of converting my 125G fresh to salt.

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Aside from fish, what do you want to keep? Just live rock, and fish? Softies? LPS, SPS? Anemones?

Depending on what you want to keep, and how much time you want to put into the tank each week, will determine would you need to do..
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

My wife's son has just set up a 150g Freshwater tank and I am sure he would be interested in the fish you have in the freshwater tank if you decided to part with them, gve me a shout if you do.
av8erdunn
Amoeba

Post by av8erdunn »

At first I want a fish only with live rock but later on I may try some softies, mushrooms and anenomes. It all depends on how the fish only goes.
av8erdunn
Amoeba

Post by av8erdunn »

strout2 wrote:My wife's son has just set up a 150g Freshwater tank and I am sure he would be interested in the fish you have in the freshwater tank if you decided to part with them, gve me a shout if you do.

Will do. Does he need filters or anything?
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Your stand is going to be a hindrance. If you don't want to build or buy a stand, you could do a small sump in one section, and a remote refugium in the other. Then once you want to add corals, you can add an external skimmer, maybe hidden in a cabinet next to the tank. I'm a little busy ATM, but later tonight or tomorrow I'll draw or CAD up some diagrams for 'ya.

You don't need sumps/refs persay. You could keep your canisters and just run carbon and GFO, but it's certainly not ideal. You probably couldn't keep anemones.
strout2
Amoeba

Post by strout2 »

av8erdunn wrote:
strout2 wrote:My wife's son has just set up a 150g Freshwater tank and I am sure he would be interested in the fish you have in the freshwater tank if you decided to part with them, gve me a shout if you do.

Will do. Does he need filters or anything?
Naw, I think he has everything he needs, the tank is up and running and has, I think 3 Cilids in the tank. One thing I know he needs, I think, is a light, the tank is 6 ft long and he has a small light fixture over.