Alk dosing causing precipitate

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

bluwtr
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Alk dosing causing precipitate

Post by bluwtr »

Okay, so I tested my water and my Ca+ is 447ppm (Hanna) and my alk was 2.16 meq/L (Hanna). Using an online chemistry calculator to raise my alk to 4.4 which is balanced for my Ca+ reading it suggested dosing 702ml which is about 23oz. I slow dosed half of that and now I've got a white precipitate on all of my glass. I know that saturated water will cause Ca+ to precipitate out, but I don't feel I've done that, so what do you all say? This isn't the first time this has happened and it's been smaller doses then. I'm am using ESV B-Ionic 2 part for additives.

Thanks
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Alk dosing causing precipitate

Post by Amphiprion »

If it is the regular sodium carbonate version, it may have caused a localized pH increase (or enough overall) enough to cause precipitation. That's the second biggest culprit next to exceeding a certain level of supersaturation. If there were precipitate crystals in the alkalinity part of B-ionic, that can sometimes cause it. Also, I wouldn't try to boost levels more than about 0.5 meq/L or so per day to avoid potentially causing precip.

This is more off topic, but I would recommend regular baking soda to adjust alkalinity. It gets expensive using B-Ionic for any significant additions. If your pH runs somewhat lower, you can always bake the baking soda to turn it into washing soda, which will give a bit of a pH boost.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

Yes it is the regular ESV B-Ionic Part 1 solution. My solution was/is clear and crystal free, but I'm thinking I did add it too quickly and that was my problem. I've heard of using the baking soda but don't really understand how to do it. Could you explain it to me? My pH, no matter what, stays between 8.0-8.1.

Thanks for the help/advice.
Wes

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

The easiest way to do it is to add an amount to some RO/DI water and add slowly in an area with good circulation. Don't add it to any sump, as that can also result in precipitation. Shoot for roughly 0.5 meq/L daily above and beyond your current dosing regimen. Also, since you add the B-Ionic in the morning, add the baking soda in the evening and test alkalinity the next day. Google "reef chemistry calculator" and the first result should be Jose Dieck's website. I've used it for years and it is very accurate.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

I've actually been reading up on it today. I read several articles that Randy Holmes-Farley wrote. He actually suggests adding to the sump in a high flow area though. I think I am going to try some, but I'm going to bake it as I would like to try and raise my pH some anyway as it stays at basically 8. I don't want to depress it any lower by adding any CO2 to the system.

As far as the calculator, that is exactly the one I use. It is extremely helpful.

Thanks for the help.
Wes