20 Gallon Lps/Sps Tank Setup

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Kresnahw22
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

20 Gallon Lps/Sps Tank Setup

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Hey guys, This setup is gonna be a lps dominated with a few sps in the mix. The corals include
Lps: Hammer Coral, Red and Green Candy Cane, dragon soul favia, green and red maze brain.
Sps: red plating monti, superman monti, forest fire monti digitata, and Alabama blue tort acro.
Fish: pair of percula clowns, that's all the fish.
Inverts: 4 nass. Snails, 10 dwarf hermits, 10 various algae eating snails, and a pincushion urchin. Gonna seed the tank with stomatella snails, and mysid shrimp.

Live rock is 30 lbs of Fiji rock that has been dried and then about 30 lbs of dry oolite argonite sand.

Electrical: fluval 405 canister filter with live rock in it and activated carbon. Hydor koralia 2 and a mj 600 for powerheads. Fluval heater and for lighting I'm using a double t-5 fixture with a ATI Coral plus and blue plus bulbs, then 2 t-8 fixtures one running a actinic bulb and the other a 10,000 k bulb.

Then my salt is a bucket of reef crystals.

The tank cloudy but here is a start, its also crappy phone picture.

After the tank cleared up a lot, added brine shrimp as an ammonia source to start my cycle, like the shrimp cycle would.

FTS:

Left side:

Right side:

Middle and top shot:

A lot of water agitation.

My favorite pic so far of the setup. Oh the sand is WHITE! Its really fine also. Ready to get my rock that will seed my coralline, pods, and bacteria.

Hope you guys enjoy, updates will happen as I add to the tank in about 20 days the clean up crew will be added and a little life will start up into this tank.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Re: 20 Gallon Lps/Sps Tank Setup

Post by bluwtr »

Good luck and keep us posted. On another note, how are the dart frogs doing? That was a really cool build you did.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

bluwtr wrote:Good luck and keep us posted. On another note, how are the dart frogs doing? That was a really cool build you did.
Thank you and I still have the trio of the d. Arautus, the blue/bronze one. They doing great. No breeding but still have them :P. Oh I also have two empty planted tanks a 10 gallon and a 20 standard flipped to its side. Ill post the link to its build, bad ass in my opinion. This place seem to take a hit for the bad side huh?
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85769

Here is the build for the 20 gallon.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Added the ammonia, it registered .25-.50 ppm. I am still continuing to add seachem stability to the tank also.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

That's a very cool build. Orchids have always fascinated me. Here in Gautier at the "mall" (what a crap hole!), they have an annual orchid festival as it were. They have growers and vendors and such and it is amazing the variety of species. Def a beautiful plant.
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

bluwtr wrote:That's a very cool build. Orchids have always fascinated me. Here in Gautier at the "mall" (what a crap hole!), they have an annual orchid festival as it were. They have growers and vendors and such and it is amazing the variety of species. Def a beautiful plant.
Thank you, since I haven't got frogs for it I was thinking of getting at crested gecko
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

My tank is officially cycling, my test kits are reading ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Gotta get a piece of really high quality live rock to get coralline algae, pods, extra bacteria, etc established into here. If anyone wants to trade dried Fiji rock I can.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Quick question, three days ago my ammonia was reading .25 my nitrate was around 5.0, & my nitrite was like .50 p.p.m on all. Today which is 3 days after that test everything is reading zero. The thing is its all dead sand and dead rock. My bacteria supplement was only seachem stability and I added fish flakes, brine shrimp and pure liquid ammonia. Where everything go? Is my tank ready?

When I first poured the ammonia in it read .50 p.p.m. that was 5 days ago.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

My bulbs are ordered and today I'm gonna be make a aqua clear fuge for chaeto algae. Will do a step by step and add it here.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Cycle seems to be completed ammonia read zero again. Also some updates on the tank.

Got the actinic and 10,000k on and the tank is crystal clear.

Also I created the d.i.y fuge. I only had a 50 model to work with but here it is.

Overview

Inside

The grate screen to prevent algae spilling into the display.

The glass, to block and slow flow.

Have the biomax in the fuge until I get the chaeto algae also have the sponge between the impeller and glass section to slow flow down more.

The system in operation. Gonna be picking up some chaeto this weekend to get it started on filtration.

Hope you guys enjoy and please comment on what you think.
harriw2
Amoeba

Post by harriw2 »

Very smart with the fuge! I never thought of that. I have a 29g that this will be perfect for. Thanks for the idea. Keep us updated on how it works.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

The 70 & 110 model is a lot better, but that's all I had at the moment. But I will keep you guys posted. Also tomorrow I'm getting my chaeto and some hermits. My bulbs come in tomorrow also.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Well guys you couldn't pass up these deals, I will be supplementing there diet but I got 5 ceirths snails, 6 hermits, and 5 nass. snails. My bulbs also arrived, got a bag of chaeto, & freebies (about 6 stomatella snails, hermit shells, and pods, and an astrae starfish the good one) overall I'm happy and gonna be some updates.

Sent from my Desire HD
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Ok guys here it is well it really nothing special.

Lights:

T-5 coral plus & blue plus

Just the t-5s

Just the t-8 10,000 k bulb

Both

Sent from my Desire HD