65 gal rebuild -- orchid paludarium

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

65 gal rebuild -- orchid paludarium

Post by Fishfood »

So as most have read in the selling forum I sold off everything after a partial tank crash during thanksgiving and lack of fund to do what i really wanted to do with the tank. I still have a few things for sale.... :wink:

With a quick turn around and using some of the cash i got from selling things from the tank this is now what my tank looks like....

It is now an orchid terrarium, or an orchid paludarium as I have a water component to it that will have anubias, java ferns, and cryptocoryne and a few neon tetras.

As for plants everything in there so far are orchids except the two bromeliad neoregelia. Since this is my first go at orchids it will be a learning experience and i can't say that all will do well in this setup. I've tried to visit forums and look for a little advise.

I'm currently waiting for the correct glass top to get here so i can get the humidity levels up. Having to run the heat this past week kill the humidity in the room.

Here are some more pictures..

And this one is already putting off a flower shoot...
Last edited by Fishfood on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Re: 65 gal rebuild

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Looks good keeping and eye on this. Besides the fish whats gonna go in it or is it just plants?
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Just plants and mostly orchids.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I'm actually looking for some aquatic plants. If anyone happens to have a planted tank and needs to thin out some of the following let me know...

Anubias nana
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Or any Cryptocoryne but specifically: blasii, Wendtii Bronze, or Ciliata.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So I've decided on my fish list for this thing. I'm going with 8-10 cardinal tetras, 4-6 rummy nose tetras, 2 oto's and 2 dwarf cory cats.

I'm also going over to the Gulf Coast Orchid show this weekend and see if they have any mini orchids available.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Fishfood wrote:So I've decided on my fish list for this thing. I'm going with 8-10 cardinal tetras, 4-6 rummy nose tetras, 2 oto's and 2 dwarf cory cats.

I'm also going over to the Gulf Coast Orchid show this weekend and see if they have any mini orchids available.
Gonna be a great setup. Cant wait to see the finished product.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Here is my current list of Orchids... Now some may not like this setup as it may be too warm. I have a little 2.5 gal tank i'm putting in my office at work(my office stays at 71). It won't get the low colds some of these guys like but its 2.5 gal. I can pick it up and put it outside any time i want.

Schoenorchis gemmata
Masdevallia Pink Fairy
Masdevallia auropurpurea
Stelis argentata 'Red'
Bulbophyllum lasiochilum
Dendrobium Micro Chip
Dendrobium bellatulum
Dendrobium Kingianum - this one likes a good cold snap and it got it before i put it in the tank. Its now blooming
Mediocalcar decoratum
Lc. Tropical Pointer 'Cheetah' - Mini Catt
Potinara Flaming Oragne 'Carmela'- Mini Catt

I'm not sure how the mini catts will do in this setup. They did horrible on the windowsill for a few weeks.

I'm still waiting on the glass top. I'm having humidity issues right now and only keep the lights on at night when i'm home for a few hours. I hope to have it in by the end of the week or early next week.
Last edited by Fishfood on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
mlindsey1
Amoeba

Post by mlindsey1 »

That looks awesome man! Keep the pics coming as it progresses.
Fishfood
Chromis

Re: 65 gal rebuild -- orchid paludarium

Post by Fishfood »

Brian, When you grow your Den. loddegessii out and want to trade let me know. I don't know what I'll have available but as of right now i think I have two things I could swap out. Just don't think the one does well in warm environments. It will grow but may not bloom. I also have the one bromeliad i'd like to remove from the tank.

Drew
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

If i can get it to grow, its an orchid who likes a dry dormite period. Right now its just hanging in there but if it starts throwing off growth ill give you some because it can take over.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

yea half the stuff i have likes dry, cooler dormant periods, but that doesn't mean no water either. Just less than normal and likely no fertilzer either. I'm still learning though. My setup isn't built for those type of plants but I'm also keeping them mounted on plugs to move them out to get the type of temps they will need.
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

I have a small these who I have that the gecko keeps knocking off Liparis gibbosa, and 2 pieces of Eria maingaya if your interested.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Drew, where did you get what looks like a Cryptanthus bromeliad? I've been looking locally, but I can't find anything other than the usual Aechmea and Neoregelia everywhere I go. I haven't tried online, as I've had bad luck with that in the past. I don't have a terrarium, paludarium or anything, just a small assortment of house plants, so it's easy to move everything around.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Andrew,

I bought all of my cork bark and some other things from this place: http://www.neherpetoculture.com/ and actually got all my broms from this specieals page: http://www.neherpetoculture.com/bromsandspecials.htm To be honest i think the Cryptanthus i got was a pink star. I told them I wanted a red one and that is what i got. Now I saw some pink stars at the walmart over here in daphne. They were left outside through all the cold weather and were on sale for like $2. I could stop by on the way home and see if they have one. I saw them about 2 weeks ago so if they still have them they may not be in very good shape. They may not be the same as what I got but what I got was just a Cryptanthus sp and I had to request what color.

Drew
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

BTW Andrew and Brian I think I'm going to be ordering a thing or two from that link i posted in the previous thread. I likely won't do it until the first week of Feb because I'll be out of town that week and don't need them to ship it while i'm gone.