Joe's Nuvo 30L

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

sailfish1
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Joe's Nuvo 30L

Post by sailfish1 »

I have been out of the hobby a for few years & I was looking for small tank to get back in. As I prefer to have some open spots in a tank, the length of the 30L seemed like a good tank for me.

Current setup is about 11/2 months old. This tank replaced a Pico tank I had for 2 months.

Tank Fusion 30L

Return pump Tunze 1073
Flow 2 WP10s
Skimmer Tunze 9004
Light Current orbit marine LED

Still working on figuring out how to take decent pictures with the LED lights. Looksmore like a frag tank then anything right now.

Overall I like the tank for what it is. I have only made one modification to the tank & that was to cut some acrylic rectangles to put in the overflows. This allowed me to raise the water about 1.5". I never understood why they designed the returns to be above the water level. While this did not cause any real problems I was not happy with it. It also left about 3" of wasted tank space between the top of the water & the top of the tank.

I replaced the cheap loud return pump with a less powerful & more efficient Tunze 1073.

The only real negative I have is the media baskets that come with the tank. The simple explanation is they suck horribly. LOL Because they where not designed to fit the filter area it allows water to bypass the media rack. I have jerry rigged a fix with filter floss but need to get better media trays. My biggest issue with this it leaves to much particulate matter floating in the tank.

The Tunze 9004 seems to be working well but I had to give up one filter media area to use it. I will say I am disappointed in the skimmer body as it dose not stay together well. I may ask Tunze to send me another front cover as mine does not want to stay closed. It just snaps into place & the cheap plastic tab gave way. I used a zip tie to make sure it would not come apart.

I will take some more pics to add later.

This will be all LPS & Zoas. The Shrooms, Acans, Hammers, Blastos, & even the Goniopora appear to be doing well. I am having issues with my Zoas & palys.

Joe
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Joe's Nuvo 30L

Post by Amphiprion »

Looks good, Joe! Looks like things should fill in nicely as the tank progresses. How do you like the Jebao pumps, btw?
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sailfish1
Amoeba

Post by sailfish1 »

Thanks.

They appear to be working good so far. I bought them because they are small & would not take up so much room in the tank. I am not using any special modes at this time. I may play with that later.

The holders leave much to be desired in the ease of use but are secure.

Pumps are quite but I am only running them about 35%

For me the reef crest type mode was too strong & sucked in water via vortex.

I usually by name brand stuff but the small size & price are hard to beat. I also bought a battery back used for a computer to run the pumps in a power outage. It should last several hours running only these pumps.
sailfish1
Amoeba

Post by sailfish1 »

I think I have finally figured out how to fix my pictures so the color is right.

Here are a few of my coral.

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Looks great! Would you mind posting a FTS with the white balance set like the last few photos?
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sailfish1
Amoeba

Post by sailfish1 »

I gave it try. It is hard to get good full tank shots as some corals will look correct & some will not. My LED lights are set to about a 20k look. I tried to adjust the pictures to make the corals look correct not the color of the lighting.

If you want to get a true representation of corals it is better to take close up shots. Like the others I am posting. I am still moving stuff around & starting to add stuff to the rock for final placement.

The website cuts the pictures down so to see the full size shot click on the picture.

Last edited by sailfish1 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sailfish1
Amoeba

Post by sailfish1 »

CMilan09
Amoeba

Post by CMilan09 »

Your corals are very beautiful the tank looks nice. if you would like to sell or frag any eventually I am definitely interested my email is christianmilan09@yahoo.com
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

That is a gorgeous tank.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
35lbs Fiji rock (taken by Katrina)
50lbs Live Sand (taken by Katrina)
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting