Stichodactyla gigantea (giant carpet anemone)

Place for Vendor's to put there new shipments !

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Stichodactyla gigantea (giant carpet anemone)

Post by Amphiprion »

We got in a shipment of these guys on accident and we don't really have the facilities to be able to keep them for too lengthy an amount of time. These specimens are brown in color, have a tight 'mouth', and seem to be doing ok for the time being. Keep in mind that this species is even more difficult than Heteractis magnifica (aka ritteri anemone), so it will take a good deal of work. I ask anyone that has a good stable system (and looking for a rarer/more difficult anemone--even more rare for this species to be healthy) to take a look at these guys. I hate to see something happen to these incredible anemones. This species needs very high lighting (one of the few that necessarily demands it), no lower than a 250w metal halide, 400w preferred. Surprisingly, this species also appreciates gentle high flow rates. Honestly, very few people ever have luck with them, so the odds are already against them.

Thanks,
Andrew

Edit--I guess that I should have mentioned that they are $39.99 each and are approx 4-5 inches in diameter as of now.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

It seems like some of these more specific and difficult animals would be special order only and somewhat hard to get. So few people have the capacity to do a specific set up for them, and so many of them die because of it. It just seems a shame to me.
I sure hope you find homes for them, they are amazing. I think you need one, Andrew....you could do it. What's one more tank? :D
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Did I hear someone say what's one more tank?!!!! :)
Doc :D
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yeah, you know I would definitely get one of them if I could, Sue. I am like you and just don't have the room (and in my case, the money) to set up another full time reef tank. I just hope someone else who is experienced can get one these guys--I am just worried a certain someone is selling the heck out of them (to anyone who walks up) while I am not there. I don't think anyone else there realizes what anemones these are, especially since we got them in as 'asst. carpet anemones.'

Oh, some extra info on this species.
despite the name, it does not get nearly as large as S. haddoni or S. mertensii. Expect this species to get no larger than around 20", though smaller is the norm.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Did I hear someone say what's one more tank?!!!!
That question does not apply to me. 8)