what happened??

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

what happened??

Post by reeferpuffer »

at this last meeting we didnt get much accomplished..i know im at fault also cause i was overwelmed in discussion also, but we didnt go over anything, like, next meeting are anything...to me it seemed we all just showed up to chat and not looking into further details about the club...i dunno, but i wasnt as happy with this one than the last 2...maybe its just me, but does anyone else think this also?
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Okay this is third time I have written this so hopefully it will post this time....

The meeting was wonder as usual, (thank you Josh and Deanna) I am just concerned about organization.

I am worried that if there isn't more organization about the meeting agenda prior to the meeting that they(the meetings) are eventually going to fade away. I like the socialization as much as the next guy, food is great but if we as a group expect this to pan out and grow for that matter then something is going to have to give.

I am not saying that we need to sit down and do minutes of the meeting or anything of that nature, I am up for suggestion of what needs to be done, I just think that there needs to be some kind of agenda set down prior to the meetings be it here or where ever. I don't want to over step my ground I just think that as a group we need to make a game plan prior to the meeting. I don't want things to fail ~ We really like having people to talk to that have some of the same interestes that we do...I just don't want people to quit coming due to (insert thought) what ever reason.

This is just my 2 cents , take it for what it is worth.
Amy
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I had a blast. Thanks, Josh & Deanna. I don't think we would need an agenda for every meeting. It's nice to have the opportunity to discuss your ideas and etc. It's a big help for a newbie like myself. It's a nice change from the bird club we are in, where we read the minutes, discuss the budget, hold elections, etc.. I think we're dropping the bird club actually, because it's getting pretty boring just the same old politics. We really dread the meetings w/ the bird club :)

What topics would be of interest at the next meeting? Group orders, field trips, education, getting the news out about the club? You could start a thread soliciting ideas for the next meeting, things you would like to talk about.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I am going to get with Scott and we will have something to discuss to liven up the next meeting. Will only take a few minutes but I think we need to spend at least a little time discussing on what our next step will be with the club. If anyone has input it will help us out. I had fun at the meeting and the food was great but yeah I think someone needed to take charge and get some discussion in, probably my fault )

Also I am started to get the meta-tag in so we get on some search engines with our club and will be doing our opening web page if anyone has ideas. These will be simple search words. Like reef, mobile, alabama, keepers, bay, etc..please add on as you think of a key word and we will keep an ongoing list.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Well, first off, thanks to Josh and Deanna for letting us come to your house and make ourselves comfie!

As a newbie, not only to the club but the whole reef keeping world, something along the lines of What's what might be advantageous to not only the new folks, but the seasoned folks as well. I don't think we need to have minutes read at each meeting, but maybe have an agenda and go down that list and as time permits, cover topics of interest and maybe add some/take some away depending on how the discussion goes.

Maybe each of us could do the whole "show and tell" thing and tell what kind of tank/size, etc what you're interested in and go from there. As Brandon said, the bird club we have is wrought with politics and it's BORING. :D
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I also enjoyed the meeting and can appriciate ANY instance people can get together and have a good chat. I would , however, love to see us discuss more on reefkeeping. The "agenda" this would work great as an outline for the meeting. Of course with all of us talkers there...we will certainly stray, wich is fine.

I think an outline with someone keeping each meeting straight (the person holding the meeting) that included a main topic by someone, group purchase discussions, frag trading and current for sale stuff. Maybe also include a brief bio of the person's tanks who are hosting the meeting. How long it's been up, what they use, experiences etc. I know we may know some of it or get around to asking it individually, but as we grow and more people do not know each other....I think that might really make a difference. Everyone likes to talk about thier reef tanks....Even me and all I have is water and rocks :D ........... By the way, did I tell you about my .......... well nevermind.. heh. :oops:

I need a little organization... I get distracted trying to make sure Kevin and Scott don't eat all the pigs in a blanket. :wink:
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

think an outline with someone keeping each meeting straight (the person holding the meeting) that included a main topic by someone, group purchase discussions, frag trading and current for sale stuff. Maybe also include a brief bio of the person's tanks who are hosting the meeting. How long it's been up, what they use, experiences etc.
Awesome idea of the person holding the meeting leading it. We all eventually center around the aquarium at some point anyways..if the owner would be so gracious as to tell us about it, that would be cool.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

God I ate soo many of those. I think i downed 4 of Josh's cookies, those were awesome.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I think that this may be a natural part of the whole process. Some meetings will not be as exciting or informative to all as others. I had to leave early so I don't know what I missed, but that is the way it goes. How about a list of things that you would like to do? I would like to make the coral food that is Borneman's book. In the future we could have frag trades, equipment trades, or selling stuff. I had a great time at the meeting, and sould not have eaten so much, but I did leave with a feeling that something was missing.

I would like to thank Josh and Deanna for hosting, Mike for the sand and Kevin and Amy for the battery backups. Unfortunately, I am scheduled to be out of town for the next meeting, but I can't wait until the June meeting.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Make sure you look at the back of the battery backup, 3 plugs are battery powered, 3 are just surge protected.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

I agree with Shawn.......maybe the person holding the meeting can pick a topic that intrigues them most, study a little on it and lead the group in discussion/question and answers. I think that we could post a list of possible topics and let each meeting holder choose his or her favorite thing to talk about out of that list.

We could also go around the room and give everyone a chance to tell the club about something they brought and wanted to show or something they were interested in buying/selling.

As for the group buys....I brought two catalogs to the last meeting and will continue to do so if there is any interest. I also can put togther a group buy on the live rock I just got....BTW, it is gorgeous and I will post pics in a few minutes.

Anyway, I had a great time (as always) and am eagerly looking forward to the next meeting. Haven't we already planned to have it at Kevin's and Amy's house? If not, sorry guys.....

Thankd for the hospitality Josh and Deanna!

Elizabeth
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Aye it is at our house ..... we may be sitting in each other's laps... that is enough for plenty of discussion :roll:

I think alot of you have made some GREAT suggestions.... About two weeks out we should make a sticky for suggestions for topics/agenda.... or whatever, however!!!!

Josh and Deanna... I have to have the recipe for the sausage balls and the cookies (kevin ate 4) ... think the kids ate the rest... you guys will have to come a visit soon...
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????