Agrocrete

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Agrocrete

Post by snoopdog »

Has anyone in our little group tried Aggrocrete. I was reading about mixing plastic pvc with the aggrocrete and how much better your Coralline aglae grows, and you can also use pvc as a base for a tube effect that your fish and critters can go through. Also would be lighter and cheaper than live rock. Just one question ? Why arent we making this stuff ? I would be nice if we could make some batches and sell them at our meeting at what it cost to make it. I have a 75 rubbermaid stock container that I could cure it in. Also could actually get it jump started with some real live rock and some light. Post ideas guys.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Been there done that... agrocrete is nice, but SUPER HEAVY and DENSE, it just displaces water and doesn't provide much else. If you want more LR filtration and "fill up" your tank at the same time, I DEFINITLY recommend you try building a PVC "reef rack". It exposes your LR to water all around, as well as keeping the sandbed more open/clear... it provides hiding space for your fish as well... here's some pics... first two are pics of agrocrete, I made a three-legged shelf rock... 1st pic shows what it looks like, and 2nd pic, it's buried under the rock on the right... the 2nd pics are before and after I added a PVC reef rack to the tank:

-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I was thinking of making a small PVC frame in a box type structure then coating it with Agrocrete. That will keep the weight way down.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I tried this a long time back, mine was a disaster.. but it was just because I mixed my batch of stuff up wrong.
I still have the portland cement, the bag of oyster shells, and sand-blasting sand. The composition might have changed by now, I have no idea, I haven't looked at garf in a long time to see what is new.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Nope, same ingredients. It's a neat/novel idea, and might be good for small plugs to put frags on, but that's about it in my mind... it's just too dense.
-Josh Murrah