Members Tanks and Bios

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Zen
Amoeba

Hi Everyone,

Post by Zen »

Hello,

I just moved from the NYC area a few months ago, and am new to this area. My name is Alex and am basically a complete noob to this hobby, I have been keeping a Nano reef for the past year with the following stuff in it:

Hardware:
10 Gallon AGA
250 Skilter (don't laugh)
2 Rio Powerheads 201s
32 Watt 10,000K Smartlamp Retro Fit from CSL (I dumped the Eclipse System 12 during the move but kept the lighting)

Software:
Lots of Hair Algae
Tomatoe Clown (He actually survived the drive from NYC to AL)
Lawnmower Blenny (I think he's blind cuz he ain't eatin' the Algae)
2 Emerald Crabs
1 Lettuce Nudibranch
3 Scarlet Reef Hermits
2 Zebra Hermits
1 Blue Leg Hermit
Various Shrooms
Some Orange Polyps
Kenya Tree Frag
Clavularia Clove Polyps

Use lots of Kent Stuff for Calcium, Reef nutrients, etc. (I really just like the cool bottles they come in, :) )

Well I think that's it, killed some fish, lost some polyps, again the noob that I am. But I haven't lost anything yet in the past 3 months, other than the Nudibranch that decided the Powerhead intake was a good place to hang out in.

I'm trying to keep a low budget and master the daily, weekly, monthly maintenance things about keeping a Reef. Keeping it simple before I blow away more cash on this cool hobby. I just like watching the fishies during work. I daytrade stocks, so they help in relieving the stress. :)

Here's a pic of my pride and joy.

Cheers,
Zen
Attachments
My 10 Gal. Nano
My 10 Gal. Nano
My 10 Gal. Nano.JPG (242.75 KiB) Viewed 21161 times
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Ok I guess I should do one of these. My name is Joe, most of you know me as the guy that always rides with John. I have kept saltwater tanks since my high school days working at the old lfs, about 10 years. Back then I could not afford the equipment to keep a reef so mainly just fish and lr until about 3 yrs ago. My setup is still very low-tech as my wife and I are both still in college. It consisted mainly of 2 175w mh lights, a 75g tank, about 80lbs of lr, a small skimmer and pumps to move water around. I am planning to ad a sump shortly. I have kept only softies and lps and clams until running ino this bunch. Now my tank is dominated by sps frags from other club members tanks.

A few fish:
Purple tang
Bangaii cardinal
false perc
pink skunk
six line wrasse
bicolor blenny

Anemone:
Big fat sebae

Softies:
Too much xenia

LPS:
Branching frogspawn
grn open brain
candycane
bubble
devils hand (not sure if this is considered lps)

SPS:
few acros
still not to keen on these names

Clams:
grn crocea
blue crocea

Other:
red zoos
purple rics
2 cleaner shrimp
cuke
snails and hemits

Thats about all I got to say about that.

Joe
Siganus8471
Amoeba

Members Tanks

Post by Siganus8471 »

Hi;

Here is a list of the specs for my aquarium.

55 gallons
40 pounds live sand (estimate)
70 poounds live rock from Fiji (estimate)
2 Maxijet powerheads
130 watts Compact Florescent
Hang on Refugium (24 inches long) with live sand and rock rubble

Livestock:

5 Turbograzer Snails
10 Blue-legged Hermit Crabs
Many Many baby snails through out tank and refugium
1 Long-spined Black Urchin
1 Pin-cushion Urchin
1 Donkey Dung Sea Cucumber
1 Green Brittle Star
1 Red Brittle Star-----have not been able to classify it scientifically
1 Colt Coral
1 Mushroom Coral----Polyps are maroon in color
1 Bubble Coral
1 Black and Gold Damsel
1 Tank Raised Maroon Clown
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Harlequin Sea Bass
1 Golden Rabbitfish
2 Convict Blennys (large)

James
Talk to ya soon,

James
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

Im Daniel and Im from P'cola. I have always loved fish tanks ..had fresh water ones growing up. Dont have a sw tank yet, but I have a couple in the works. Since I dont have the sw tank[s] up yet, Ill tell you about my FW tank.

I bought a 10g fw setup in Jan. and I've had that thing going since then. I started with 3 Tiger barbs, Velvet Swordtail, Dwarf Gourami, Albino catfish, 3 neon tetras(I later added 2 more neons) and a I had a mean Red Tailed shark. Later the gourami died of unknown reasons. The shark killed and ate the swordtail, the catfish and one of the barbs. . Needless to say...I got rid of him. I put a couple of plants in a while back and got infested with pond snails!!! I just added 4 more fish today. A green Barb (other dominant barb has already been pestering the new guy...but the new guy is HUGE and he is taking over!!!) Two tetras of some sort (I forgot what they are called)..and a loach of some sort(to eat the snails)

I got lots of plans for my SW tank...so Ill keep you all updated
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Once you go to a Reef tank you will never look back. We are still waiting on Salt N Lime to convert that Cichlid tank any day now....hint ....hint
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
customreefs
Amoeba

Post by customreefs »

Hello everyone. Name's Lee. I think I am the newest of the newbies having just started the hobbie a couple of weeks ago. I have been working long side Peter at Custom Reefs for about 3 months now. I have learned much from him (more than I knew about SW tanks, which was NOTHING :P ) but was still nervous about starting my own tank ( have heard many horror stories about SW tanks).
I now have a 75g tank and just added the sand to it today. I will add the water and skimmer/pump Monday or Tuesady. Hey, its a start. :D
I hope I don't experience any major problems in the set-up and hope to start adding fish and coral by August. I'll update with info and pictures as I go, but for now, I attached a photo of the tank.

Many thanks for any info that can help me with this.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Very nice looking cabinet stand.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

It will reallly be nice to have pull out drawers on that stand. I wish mine had some.
coralfreak
Amoeba

My Bio

Post by coralfreak »

Hello everyone. Names Robert. I have just moved here last month from Slidel, LA and I have a 50g saltwater aquarium set up with beautiful coral/live rock/fish . etc etc etc.. display. I was told about this forum and had to check it out, and from what I've read so far, this is GREAT. This is the type of support group I need, people who have the answers to my questions. I am still learning, and have many questions time to time. My tank is still in LA at my parents house, and I am planning on moving it this weekend. I am comftorable with disassembling the tank, but am not to sure about the re-set up. Is there a company near here that is able to set it up for me, or do you think this is something I can do myself without killing everything ? I say this because I had the tank set up from the store I bought it from when I first got it 2 yrs ago, and all I've had to do is maintain/add.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

P.S. I don't have any pictures yet, but I will be sure to post some when I do.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

You should have no problem doing it yourself. I suggest you premix some water and have it ready. Try to use about 70% of the old water and this will be like a water change. Also try not to stir up the sand more than you have to...since their will be some stirring up no mater how hard you try run some carbon in the sump after setup. Try and keep downtime to the min...plan ahead and then keep moving. Good luck...lots of wk but you should have no problem.
customreefs
Amoeba

Welcome

Post by customreefs »

Welcome Robert.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

Moving a tank is now big deal as long as you have a strong back and some friends that don't mind giving you a hand.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Excellent! We'll be calling you soon Jason to help out with ours :)
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

Who said I have a strong back?
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
ReefBert
Amoeba

Hey!

Post by ReefBert »

ROLF Lee! That was me last year. Look at my avatar. Nothing but an empty tank with 220W of actinics.

My name is Bert and I work for the DoD. I administer their server farm that houses the curriculum our young Navy students use to learn to fix aircraft, avionics, support equip, etc. I have been doing that for about 6 years.

I have lived in Pensacola since 79. I have a beautiful wife and 2 kids, and live in Perdido Bay (in Tarklin Oak Estates in case anyone is nearby). My interests include anything on a boat from fishing to skiing, reefing, r/c planes, boats, and helicopters, computers, and generally anything that is fun to do.

Ive had numerous fresh water tanks with anything from goldfish to pirahanas. I hated the way that freshwater tanks were always cloudy and all the saltwater tanks Ive seen were clear. So I thought hey, these things must be easier to maintain! Boy was I wrong. It took a lot of trial and error and numerous posts here and reefcentral (thanks guys) to get the tank where it is today, a year and a half later, and my tank is still a newborn baby.

I have still yet to make it to one of the meetings, but I will try damn hard to make the next one. Its difficult to schedule my time will the mobile meetings cause they are so far away. If anyone is near me, pm me your phone number if you would like to talk tanks, and maybe exchange some frags and ideas.

Well for pics I started a thread today to show my newbie tank. You can find it here: http://www.mbrk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1707. I will look for some pics of me and my family. Well nice to meet everyone!