Red Bugs

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Jahdiel wrote:You can see it in the first picture I posted. It is a fuzzy chocolate color. I don't ever see it do anything but sit there and get it's picture taken. 8)
It doesn't sound like an acro crab. They are smooth and have a black stripe across their eyes. If it's hairy it's likely bad. I only have one acro crab (and I haven't seen it in a while). I used to move between a couple of colonies and one of them did have the bugs. That is the only good crab that survived my treatment.
Brandon wrote:Well.. I looked and looked and I can't find any, but haven't traded anything in a long time, and I do Iodine dips for most all new stonies.

I did get some needed tank maintenence done.. did you know Xenia doesn't pulse while it's sitting in the bottom of the toilet :)
The easiest way to find them is to put an acro near the front glass and wait a little while and then look. Or you could use your super extra macro mode and take a bunch of pictures. They are limited to acros and they are less likely to be on species that slime alot or Acropora millipora. Iodine dips have been proven to be almost ineffective and are usually more stressful to the coral than the pods. There is still some debate about other dips but I have heard that some people have had decent results with Seachems.

Let me know when the Bay Minette sewer system gets over run by Xenia. I will take them to the LFS for credit 8) . They don't pulse in my yard either (at least not after a couple of hours.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Scott wrote:
Jahdiel wrote:You can see it in the first picture I posted. It is a fuzzy chocolate color. I don't ever see it do anything but sit there and get it's picture taken. 8)
It doesn't sound like an acro crab. They are smooth and have a black stripe across their eyes. If it's hairy it's likely bad. I only have one acro crab (and I haven't seen it in a while). I used to move between a couple of colonies and one of them did have the bugs. That is the only good crab that survived my treatment.

That reminds me I had one of those that looked like that, and it did come in on an acro and hung on in them. I thought it was a "good" crab, but caught him on the other side of the tank one night with pieces of frogspawn in his paws and one head looking a little rough. I think mine had the red eyes.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

:shock: You did not! Please call me next time you have some, been wanting to get some of each kind. I have some pom pom
Karen
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I would also like to get some from someone (the pom pom kind)
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Not all hairy crabs are bad. I have one that is a long term resident that is probably just like Karens. I will post a picture tonight. I do not have any soft or LPS corals though. That type of crab is not, however, the kind of acro crab that was discussed a MACNA. The black face is.

Phil
mykpoz
Amoeba

starting out

Post by mykpoz »

Jahdiel wrote::shock: You did not! Please call me next time you have some, been wanting to get some of each kind. I have some pom pom
I agree, I would love to get a few different kinds, as I hear its a good one to add to a beginning tank.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

It was elongata I dumped.. I've got pompom and elongata, I'll post before I dump it next time. I throw the stuff out all the time.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.