Loss of "Experts" on Reef Central

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I was referring to it as a whole--not necessarily a specific forum. In fact, I love the anemone and clownfish forum, since it is the one I go to the most. A few of the other "special interest" forums are pretty good, too, like seahorses, LPS, SPS, and Nanos. But I usually try not to get involved in the other ones--or even read them, for that matter.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

So I guess I missed everything by only keeping up with the Reef Fish, SPS and LPS forums. About the only thing that I dislike about the site at this point is the Search Function is always tied up. What do you expect for a free forum with so many menbers.
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

Well I dislike all the flaming that happen's on there and all of the so called expert's that think there way is the only way,we all know that there is more than one way to have a great reef.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

casey wrote:Well I dislike all the flaming that happen's on there and all of the so called expert's that think there way is the only way,we all know that there is more than one way to have a great reef.
Well thats about how it is on every message forum I've ever been involved with, saltwater aquariums or not. Since everyone has the internet these days you are going to get the good, bad and the ugly in public forums, and even some private ones.
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

not on thereeftank.com they try that and I will personally zapp em. :D
Bkndsdl
Amoeba

Post by Bkndsdl »

What I've learned is that you have to take everyone's opinion into account and make your own decision. I've gotten so much contradictory advice it's not even funny. In the end, you are the one who has to live with the tank, so it's up to you to decipher what advice you get.

I can't stand it when you post your livestock, which includes a tang, and you get 15 posts about how you are a fish killer because a tang needs more room, and nothing at all to do with your original question. I mean, if tangs need that much room, no tank is big enough.............

sorry, just venting..........
-Mike
http://bkndsdl1.home.mchsi.com/
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?
There is NO SUCH THING as a hot water heater.
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

i get tired of sometimes too

i really got for the diy --- but you even get some of the hard a$$e$

and check out the large fish tanks 180 plus

i check it about every couple of day now!!!

chad
gitting things back in order and starting over!!!
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Just as an aside Mike, my second tank was a 60 gallon hex that might have been 24-inches across. It was probably 36 inches deep. I set the tank up one day and added three fish the following day. The three fish I added were a 6 inch yellow tang, an 8 inch blueface angel and a 6 inch bird wrasse.

The filtration was an undergravel, yes gravel, filter. There were only two small decorative rocks in the tank. I did a water change every two weeks (about 50%). The tank was heated by an old stick heater.

Those three fish lived in the tank under those conditions for almost five years under my care. They perished one winter while I was here in Pensacola on vacation and the power failed in the house. The tank was in the basement and the power failed due to one of the largest snow storms in Seattle history. You can only guess how cold it got.

The point is, your right. One of the things I hate is the damn tang police. But what I really hate is the tang police that have never kept a tang and/or never kept a tang alive for more than one month. Not all tangs are the same. Its just another generalization gone way overboard.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I've been waiting and waiting for there to be an "Algae Police".....

OMG! You've got ALGAE!!!! AAHHHHHH!!!!

You cant grow anything in there!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :P
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

no one's gonna tell you that Sue :wink:
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I know for RC (at the current point in time) this is blasphemy, but I have had a shallow sand bed (ssb) for a decade, LOL! No problems either. Unless you want your sps to die from wicking up with phosphates from old live rock and a sand bed, you should switch to a barebottom. I think if I hear this argument one more time, I will go insane.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Well, I for one, am glad to hear someone else feels that way. I was beginning to wonder. :roll:
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

For anyone who's interested, I've been checking Ron Shimek's blog. Today's post was a bit interesting...

http://drrons.blogspot.com/
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Good read.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Well I had no clue about what was going on over there and after reading his blog I don't know if i have a full understanding. People fighting and arguing is one thing but we all know that not everyone sets up a tank the same way and without pushing the limits or trying new things the hobby wouldn't grow.

Well I have to go and feed the elephant in my back yard. :wink: