Loss of "Experts" on Reef Central

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Loss of "Experts" on Reef Central

Post by Amphiprion »

Anyone else keep track of it? All I know is that some silly comments were thrown around (and some incriminating ones) and a few folks took it poorly. I think there was a more mature way to solve issues rather than bickering to the point of being kicked out of RC. It is a shame, especially with folks like Dr. Ron Shimek (best anemone info, ever), Eric Borneman (kind of an ass, though), and Anthony Calfo (cool guy). Oh well, I guess everyone must pay for the mistakes of a few.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I don't really like RC anymore, a lot of the people I have liked or respected are removed with the status of "moved on". Too much politicing, postering, etc for my taste, it seems to be ran by some people with some real egos.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

It really is a shame to lose the really knowledgeable people. I agree Eric could be an ass, but he meant well. Anthony could too, but I would too with some of the attitudes people on RC can have.

It's a waste, really. There's enough incorrect info on RC as it is being thrown around, without having someone willing to put it into perspective occasionally.
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

There is alot more to it you guys just dont want to know it got real mean and nasty.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Links please ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

A substantial amount of the core arguments have been removed.

The jist of the problem, however, is the intolerance of a few towards any idea besides their own. This storm has been brewing on RC for a long time. Anyone who spends any amount of time on RC can see that there were, and still are, a few 'experts' that espoused certain positions that they believed to be beyond reproach and unimprovable. The lack of respect or consideration for any other idea can be seen, between the lines, in several articles published in RK magazine. If you are an open minded person, it is easy to see which articles I am talking about. After these articles were published, other articles were not published by different authors having different views or ideas. It went downhill from there.

In reality, there are many, many different ways to keep a reef tank. There are so many intangibles involved, there will probably never be 'one' correct, or even significanly better, method of keeping a reef tank. Anyone who cannot get that through their head is doomed to be left behind or look bad. It is somehow apparently against human nature to understand that you may not be wrong, but hey, that guy is not wrong either.

There is so much noise on RC these days, that you have to really wade through a lot of BS. There are just too many people that cannot sit back and listen, they have to jump up and say it ain't so, when they have no idea. Any time someone opens a dialogue on an interesting idea, there are ten 'you gotta be kidding, that doesn't work, we tried that ten years ago' for every one 'well I tried or am trying that again, heres what I have done or changed, and heres the anecdotal evidence or results.'

You only need to attend one major event like MACNA or attend the meetings of a large reef club to know that there are many very experienced people that do not post on RC because of the noise factor.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Very well said.

It happens, though....you get a whole bunch of people with big egos together and you're going to have a head butting contest. I agree, this was inevitable, and events almost just fell into place with just the right timing. A little bit here, then a little more then BOOM!

As far as that is concerned....whatever. What pisses me off are the people who decided to gloat (for no reason, really) on Reefs.org about it. That did it for me, and it took all I had not to write one of my lovely, scathing posts about the proper way to act when you disagree with someone.

I guess I'm just tired of stupid. :)
reefer21
Amoeba

Post by reefer21 »

lol, rc = shit. The only good thing to look at on RC is the tank pictures
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

rc = shit
LOL. Beginning to feel that way myself, I'm afraid.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

reefer21 wrote:lol, rc = shit. The only good thing to look at on RC is the tank pictures
I don't agree with this.. Maybe because I only visit a few forums on RC, but I love learning about different peoples experiences in the forums I do visit. I use to be an avid user of saltwaterfish.com and haven't been there in about 2 or so years. RC and this forum are the only ones I visit and I only go to a few select forums on RC.
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

I only go to Rc to look at the pics also and to see who is being a moron over there.Lots of other good boards out there like this one,no need for Rc.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

I have to agree with Drew. Even with all of the noise there is no other forum or group that captures as much information in one place as RC. There is no other source of information that is anywhere near as unbiased or as up to date.

As bad as RC can be, and I don't necessarily believe it is the fault of the owner/moderators, I would challenge anyone to find any other significant sized forum that is not worse or more one sided. RC has around 100,000 registered members and is one of the top 100 web sites.

You can search the web for any tidbit of reef keeping information and you will always find the most up to date information on RC. You just have to wade through all of the BS. If the dialogue was any more tightly controlled, or more narrowly focused, I am sure you would lose the breadth of information presented.

Its just like Sue said, I get tired of stupid. It should be real simple. If someone posts and asks a question, you should only answer if you have first hand knowledge or can point to a previous post containing first hand knowledge. If you have an opinion only, keep it to yourself unless it is based on first hand knowledge or scientific training.
lwready
Amoeba

Post by lwready »

I have looked over RC and reef.com trying to find the posts you guys are discussing. Please list a link or two of representative posts.

Thanks
Larry

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. Gandalf
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

They have removed those particular posts. And for the best, I think. But they have put a statement of sorts at the top of the coral forum, stating basically that it's time to move on.

The other one is Reefs.org under the industry behind the hobby forum.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

The only posts I have seen left refer only to the blow up that occurred christmas eve or thereabouts. The problem started long before that, however.