Help

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

steveib
Amoeba

Help

Post by steveib »

Am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon freshwater tank and have a zillion questions. If someone could direct me to some posts, I would be greatful.

Have tank, stand, filter, light setup, and other basics. I want to do this right, but this is getting like an onion, the more layers I peel off the more I find...

Thanks,

Dazed and Confused
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Well, if you are setting up a freshwater tank, you are probably in the wrong place as this is primarily a marine (saltwater) forum.

There are, however, plenty of super nice folks on the forum that do keep freshwater tanks as well as marine aquariums that I am sure would be willing to discuss specific questions.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

It's not as scary as it seems, but it can be pretty confusing. We'll get you set up.

Sue
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

What questions do you have I am sure we can answer them for you. What are you planning on doing with the tank, Community, Africans, South American Cichlids, planted, Discus?
steveib
Amoeba

Post by steveib »

Thanks for the replys! I plan to do a planted community tank. Had sent a personal message to SB1227. She lives close to me, and I saw in her bio that she has a planted 90 gal. tank. We talked last night and I am going to visit with her this afternoon.

After talking to her, I am not so sure that is the way to go...Kinda got the impression that planted fresh has almost as many traps and pitfalls as salt.
Will know more after our visit today.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Kinda got the impression that planted fresh has almost as many traps and pitfalls as salt.
Yes, maybe even more. They are definitely more difficult to balance when you blast them with light. Why not try a lightly planted, low tech community approach? You can still have a very nice tank with hardy plants and a bit more light. Of course, water changes are going to be the most important factor here (and especially for any freshwater tank). On mine, I try to change ~50% a week. IME, large, frequent water changes are the "secret" to freshwater aquaria.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

I can say we honestly have had less long term problems with our salt tanks than we did with our fresh water planted tanks....
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????