One of many major problems in our hobby

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

One of many major problems in our hobby

Post by Amphiprion »

Well, I just got aggravated today and noticed that too many people are dead set on old anecdotal BS. They simply do certain things because they don't know any better. Examples include 1)You can't use iodized salt for aquaria, 2) throw in an iron nail to get things going 3) never let specific gravity get above 1.020 if you have fish in the tank, 4) lets add every chemical known to God to my tank because it is in seawater and the manufacturer recommends it.

Just a few of the ones that bother me. I know I am not the only one who is aggravated by ignorance and stubbornness when it comes to these things.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

It actually doesn't bother me that people do those things really.

My pet peeve is that they have put no thought into why they are doing those things, can't explain what they are supposed to do, and in the absense of any detailed knowledge defend their actions to the death.

I have done plenty of experimental things, but I would like to think that I at least have some idea of what I am supposed to be doing.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

That is actually what I meant. People do these things without knowing what it does or why they do it--not necessarily the acts themselves. The other thing is that they do it without knowing whether or not it is actually beneficial in any way (or, on the converse, if it is detrimental).
Andrew

tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I personally use a cupfull of bleach for algae control...this is up used once a month and good for up too 100 gals....if over 100g double the dose..I have never had an algae problem while doing this process.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Terry, don't lie to these people. You know you use Round-Up. That is what you were using last time I was over there and what you recommended here a year ago.

BTW, Still enjoying Korea? Madison is starting to suck ass. It was snowing here last night (just flurries).
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Bleach turned out to be cheaper and I am getting the same results. :roll:
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Why use bleach when you can have to dual foaming action of Drano? Liquid Plumr just doesn't cut it in my experience.
Andrew

andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Maybe that is what I have been doing wrong I need to add more bleach to my system. The one cup full was not doing the trick. :lol:
Buzz
Amoeba

Pet Peeve

Post by Buzz »

Ever read the back of a Kent bottle? Bought some goodies to feed my coral and made the mistake of reading the back of the bottle. If you go by what they tell ya, you'll have about 40 chemicals sitting around. If the tank really needs all this stuff, why can't they put it in one bottle?

I think the confusion starts with alot of the manufactures.

Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

To tell you the truth I have quit dosing anything, not by choice but by being pure busy. Since I have been tiling the bottom floor I have not even had time to feed the fish but twice. Since then no calcium has been dosed. But even when I was doing it, that was only once a week if I was lucky. I may just make a long run and see if they even notice. It sure is not effecting any growth at all !!!

It would justify having a larger tank if I knew the chemicals would not be needed. I do like the carbon approach though, the tank looks clearer after it is added. New tank is still down the road but the way the corals are growing I will be able to fully fill the tank in time.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Pet Peeve

Post by Amphiprion »

Buzz wrote:Ever read the back of a Kent bottle? Bought some goodies to feed my coral and made the mistake of reading the back of the bottle. If you go by what they tell ya, you'll have about 40 chemicals sitting around. If the tank really needs all this stuff, why can't they put it in one bottle?

I think the confusion starts with alot of the manufactures.

Buzz
I think the confusion starts with a lack of information. Until there is solid scientific evidence that we need these things added (above and beyond water changes), then I will not feel the need to add them. I honestly have not added these things in years. Kent offered a number of reasons why things have done so well, but I have debunked their reasons, anyway. On top of that, few of their products even advise testing (some recommend against it). That is an immediate turn off for me. Some things, such as iodine, we have no reliable way to know what is going on with it in our tanks. Would one honestly blame me for not wanting to add it or putting the product down?
Andrew

Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

snoopdog wrote:To tell you the truth I have quit dosing anything
Me too! No chemicals, food, top off water, you know all those things that we all think we need to do. As far as I know it's working out well. :P
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

I will 3rd it. I dose nothing. Ca Reactor, Skimmer, and the occasional water change.

Jeremy
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

It really it not so much as a problem. Anytime a manufacturer finds a way to make money off the public and an open spot to do so, they will. To top it off you have to buy test kits (or think you need to) to make sure the levels are right.

Also drives me nuts being told that I needed so much live rock to start with. Next time I am doing all dry base rock and one damn piece of live rock. I can add a piece of base rock right now and 6 months later you could not tell the difference between it and the live rock. The reason I say this is some of my tanks are base rock. One pro point toward the live rock is that it's lighter than base rock and more porous.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
hcakebox
Amoeba

algae

Post by hcakebox »

Is that true that I could add bleach to my tank, It will not harm my corals
and fishes.
Let me now