APC's / back up power supply for fishes

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

SadaAesix
Amoeba

APC's / back up power supply for fishes

Post by SadaAesix »

I live in a zone that constantly looses power. I know that cannot be good so I was wondering if you can use an APC made for your computer on you're aquarium? Any advice??
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Yes you can but not all pumps agree with battery backups, some make horrible clanking noises while on them and I am not sure why. I wonder how clean the power is coming off of a UPS. I have tried several UPS and some pumps like RIO's do not like the juice supplied by a UPS.

Mileage may vary though, so try one out.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
SadaAesix
Amoeba

Thanks

Post by SadaAesix »

Thanks for your advice. I did do some checking and found a company that does units for aquariums, how be it they are pricey. Ouch...

I just bought an APC and the unit needs to connected to my comp, can you bypass that?
Suziq21
Amoeba

Post by Suziq21 »

Funny, this topic came up on the RC forum the other day. I was kinda curious about it too since we seem to be loosing power for no reason-I guess the power company is just getting us ready for another hurricane season??
Anyway, someone explained that the APC backups don't exactly regulate power too well :(
I'd be interested in seeing if you could bypass this by plugging in a decent surge protector into the APC.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

The biggest problem I have seen is the start up and then about 5 seconds later. I use mine on a MAg 12 and another that I can't remember. Both rattled on start up and then the UPS voltage dips for a second and they they really rattled bad then. After that was over I don't think there was any more problems.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Suziq21 wrote:Funny, this topic came up on the RC forum the other day. I was kinda curious about it too since we seem to be loosing power for no reason-I guess the power company is just getting us ready for another hurricane season??
Anyway, someone explained that the APC backups don't exactly regulate power too well :(
I'd be interested in seeing if you could bypass this by plugging in a decent surge protector into the APC.
The problem is a surge protector does not filter AC at all, it just pops if there is a peak.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate