Bring back the interest meeting in August

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

andy4499
Chromis

Bring back the interest meeting in August

Post by andy4499 »

I would like to propose a meeting at my place in a few weeks in hopes to gain the peoples interest in the hobby again. If you would be interested in coming please let me know. I was thinking about one of these dates Aug 5, Aug 12 or Aug 19. Let me know what one would be good for everyone. As for the details about food and all that I will let everyone know later.

Since we have not had one of these in a while lets try and make this a huge frag swap meeting. If you have anything at all to give or trade bring it to the meeting I am sure that someone would be happy to have it or trade you something for it.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
Suziq21
Amoeba

Post by Suziq21 »

I'll do my best to show up and see if I can't bring some reefers with me!
mermaiden78
Amoeba

Post by mermaiden78 »

I can as long as it is a weekend! give me time give me date Ill be there
Cin. Clown (General)
Condy (SJ)
Turbo snail (Gary)
Button Polyps
Yellow Colony
10 Gallon
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

I'm on board as long as it is not on the 5th.
reefman8471
Amoeba

Meeting

Post by reefman8471 »

Sounds good to me although the 5th won't be good. Maybe sometime in the middle of the month.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
Buzz
Amoeba

August Meeting

Post by Buzz »

Andy,

I'll be there. How about I make everyone a deal. I'll pick up about $50 of coral before the meeting. Maybe one medium/large piece and maybe a couple of frags and some raffle tickets. We can draw for door prizes sometime during the night. This could help more people be more motivated to come. Let me know what ya think.

Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Buzz
Amoeba

Special Guest at meetings

Post by Buzz »

I read in another post that Eric Borneman came to B&B yesterday. Would it be cool to have someone like this (a true expert) attend a meeting once in a while. Lets see what we can do.

Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I am corresponding with him fairly often at this point. In the near future, I may be writing a scientific article, with Eric probably being co-author (or, at the very least, a major source of shared information/personal experience), so he will definitely be coming by more often--i.e. more than every 2 years or so. His parents also live here, so he does drop by from time to time, anyway. If we can plan a meeting around his next arrival, let me know so I can ask him.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
SadaAesix
Amoeba

I'd love to come

Post by SadaAesix »

I think it would be great to get together, new folks to this hobby so need help. I'm in if everyone is invited that is. I would hate to impose.
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

Sada,

This will be my first meeting also. I think there will be mostly new folks at this one. Maybe we can talk some of the older members into showing up.(Not older in age.....older as in members of the club longer)

See Ya there,

Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

I'm in. I should have some Xenia, shrooms, zoas and hopefully some Colt frags ready by then!

dxtr
Peace! - Dxtr
Buzz
Amoeba

Post by Buzz »

I don't want to sound like a dork but It would be cool for everyone to have nametags at the meeting. Just the little peel and stick kind. We could put our real name and MBRK name. I know I'm the worlds worst at remembering names. Just a thought...

Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
mermaiden78
Amoeba

Post by mermaiden78 »

I like that idea, Buzz. I am bad with names too. And if we do get the names tags, we will know who (in person) we are talking to.
Cin. Clown (General)
Condy (SJ)
Turbo snail (Gary)
Button Polyps
Yellow Colony
10 Gallon
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Buzz wrote:nametags at the meeting Buzz
That is something that has not been done yet and I think would be a good Idea. I will pick some of them up before the meeting.

In another post I saw someone say something about having a lesson on fraging corals. I think that would be a good idea also.

Here is a rough itinerary that I have come up with for the meeting. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what they may want to do?

Date: still undecided but leaning toward the 19th of August
Time: 6:00 to no set time (when everyone is ready to leave)
Where 602 Farnell Ln. Mobile, AL 36606 (will post directions later)

6:00 – 7:30 (Mingling, Eating)
A time for everyone to arrive and mingle with the other reef club members, eating and checking out my tank setups.

7:30 – 8:30 (Getting to know everyone.)
I will tell a little about my self and my experience and then if anyone else would like to say anything they can. We may just go around the room and let everyone say a little something (If they want to).

8:30 – 9:00 (Lesson in fragging corals)
I will frag and mount a couple of my corals to show everyone my techniques that I use

9:00 – 10:00 (Frag swap and then door prizes)
I will have a few frags and maybe a colony of something that I will give away as door prizes. If someone wants to contribute to a door prize they can.

10:00 – On (More mingling)
The meeting will end when the last person leaves, There is no set time for everyone to leave

Let me know of any suggestions you may have.

Last time we had about 20 to 30 show up which was a great turn out. I really hope that we have another good turn out.

Food has not been decide on yet If you have any suggestions let me know.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

looks like a good outline. Will frags be OK in a little baggie for 5-7 hours?

I'll be coming from Pensacola, so I'm planning an hour of travel time each way. :D

dxtr

i have one maybe 2 frags of the colt by then :wink:
Attachments
Colt Frag.jpg
Colt Frag.jpg (71.97 KiB) Viewed 7523 times
Peace! - Dxtr