Whom ever is sponsoring the next meeting...

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

SadaAesix
Amoeba

Whom ever is sponsoring the next meeting...

Post by SadaAesix »

To Whom ever is sponsoring the next meeting, I spoke to Leroy@ GARF and he and SallyJo would love to talk at our next gathering. He'll of course need information and other details but you can contact them both online at their site: www.garf.org.
Sincerley, Sada
Water travels the path of least resistance, be more then water.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I have a hard time believing those guys are going to come all the way down from Idaho as busy as they are to come here ? Did they commit to this knowing the club is in Alabama ? I could understand it more if we had 250+ members at a meeting with perspective vendors, etc.

Flying from Idaho for two people cannot be cheap. I have nothing against them coming, it would be very cool to talk to them, I just do not want them coming all this way under false presumptions.

"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
SadaAesix
Amoeba

um yeah.

Post by SadaAesix »

I merely wrote an e-mail stating that if by chance they were happening to our little neck of the woods, would they talk at a meeting. I never made it out that our club by any means was grandiose. They seem to be pretty nice, down to earth people who apparently showed an interest to come but if you're concerned then I will write them with your concerns and see what they say in reference. If anything I am sure they'd love to do a videoconference via internet but that would be speculation on my part.
Sada
Last edited by SadaAesix on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Water travels the path of least resistance, be more then water.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Like I said, I do not object all, I highly encourage it. I am just concerned that they may not show when everyone would be expecting them. Please keep us updated on the progress.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
StoneFish
Amoeba

Post by StoneFish »

When any kind of club, reef or not, brings in a speaker, it is usually at the club's expense. The club flies them in, puts them up, and feeds them. This may be what they are agreeing to. Otherwise, I wouldn't think they would come on their own accord.
Mr James
Amoeba

Post by Mr James »

StoneFish wrote:When any kind of club, reef or not, brings in a speaker, it is usually at the club's expense. The club flies them in, puts them up, and feeds them.
That's how I understand it to be too. They will come, as anyone else would, to a meeting on your dime. I went to a conference in Michigan where they spoke. There were lots of speakers and sponsors as well. The crowd was only like 50 people or so. It doesn't have to be 100+ people, it can be 10 people, as long as you are paying for their way.

I posted here about the Florida Panhandle Reef Club's September meeting at The Gulfarium in FWB, FL. One of the things that we are planning next is a regional conference. The Gulfarium would host it and we are open to suggestions regarding speakers and sponsors. The Emerald Coast Conference Center is just across the street from The Gulfarium which would make for a great combination!! It's coming, probably this fall. If any 0of you would like to come to our next meeting, we are going to discuss this idea for a regional conference. Think of it. All of the clubs from Atlanta to Orlando and west to Arkansas. It'd make for a gigantic frag swap. BTW, many of the sponsors donated prizes for the raffle drawing. I know it could work, but we need to plan ahead and start now!! Anyone want to chat about it??