Fairly Updated reef tank pics

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Fairly Updated reef tank pics

Post by Amphiprion »

Since this is a reef site, I figured I might as well also post some fairly updated pics of my reef. They are about 2 months old, I believe. Sorry ahead of time if you do not like topside shots, but I didn't feel like cleaning the glass :D . I also did not add pics of the right side, which is mostly mushrooms and evil green star polyps. I couldn't get any decent shots from that side, anyway.
Attachments
Aquarium 001resize.jpg
Aquarium 001resize.jpg (116.48 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
Aquarium 002resize.jpg
Aquarium 002resize.jpg (102.66 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
Aquarium 007resize.jpg
Aquarium 007resize.jpg (108.07 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
Aquarium 013resize.jpg
Aquarium 013resize.jpg (108.04 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
Aquarium 015resize.jpg
Aquarium 015resize.jpg (102.54 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
Aquarium 017.jpg
Aquarium 017.jpg (126.25 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
carlab
Amoeba

Post by carlab »

Great looking tank! Especially love the monti cap. What lighting are you using?
Carla
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Very nice looking corals
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

carlab wrote:Great looking tank! Especially love the monti cap. What lighting are you using?
Carla
Thanks, and it is actually VHO lighting. I actually surprised myself after I started getting sps corals years ago and they actually grew (too well).
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Looks real good! Did I see a Euphyllid next to that Montipora in the third pic? Do you have any problems with sweeper tentacles?

Most of the SPS I see in your pics don't really need massive amounts of light, most actually prefer VHO or PC. They look pretty happy to me. :lol:
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Granted, none of the ones I have now are difficult, but even many of the other 'sps' corals people commonly keep don't need halides to grow well and look good to begin with (though 'prefer' may be a strong word). There were actually plenty of Acropora species (some supposedly more light demanding, i.e. 'purple' species) that did well and retained color, but I allowed the Pocillopora to sting/kill and overgrow them. I also had clams for many years until a sudden bout of pinched mantle killed them (derasa for 8 years, crocea for 5). My anemone didn't help there, either, when it did much of the same thing. All of them grew well until they were outcompeted. I guess had I not been so lax about fragging, etc, I would have done more to stop it. Oh, that is a Plerogyra sp. and it is actually a surprising 8-10" from it. The top down view distorts it a bit.
Last edited by Amphiprion on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

Andrew,

When you are ready to frag off some of that cap let me know.

Jeff
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Kart Racer wrote:Andrew,

When you are ready to frag off some of that cap let me know.

Jeff
Actually, Sunday is good for me. Just be sure to remind me (shoot me a message, or something before then).
Andrew

Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

Andrew,

What are you looking to get for a piece of that monti cap? Would it be mounted to a piece of rock? I can come by the store if that would be best for you.

Jeff
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Kart Racer wrote:Andrew,

What are you looking to get for a piece of that monti cap? Would it be mounted to a piece of rock? I can come by the store if that would be best for you.

Jeff
Dropping by the store would be best, if you don't mind. It will probably be unmounted, but I can mount it if you like. Don't worry about giving me anything in return--you can have the piece.
Andrew

Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

We can come by the store, always need something for her dog. I appreciate the frag, I can mount it I guess as long as I can get some pointers on how to do it correctly.
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

Andrew,

Thanks for the frag, I hope it will grow to look like the colony that it came from. How old is the one in your tank? On another note, that aptasia control works like a champ.

Jeff
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Give it time, yours will easily get bigger if you allow it to. Mine is about 3 years old (maybe older, don't remember) but it is fragged often, so it could have been much bigger.

Yeah, I was impressed with the aiptasia control myself. Stuff really does work well.
Andrew