Big Day

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Scott: I love that skimmer! :lol: I'm amazed at the amount of gunk it pulls out of the tank, and was the easiest skimmer I've ever set up. It's fed from a tee off of the main drain. It probably took all of ten minutes to get it adjusted and has run like a charm ever since.

I'm glad you're going to get the tank going, I know you've missed it. Does this mean you're actually going to have a little time at home?
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I probably won't be gone for more than a week at a time until next March at the earliest.

What are the specs on the rest of your set up (pumps, closed loop, powerheads, etc)?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I went with 2 Tunze 6000 and the 7095 controller, may add one or more later. 2-250 HQI Geisemann 13K megachrome , 2-T5 blueplus bulbs. Using my existing mag 9.5 for a return pump but I am thinking about switching to a mag 12, it comes out of a 1" return split into 2 - 3/4" locline, one comes out on each side of the overflow. The center overflow really works on that tank, it's very even looking and much easier to get flow going everywhere.

What are the dimensions of your 80 gallon?
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

It's 36x24x24. I went with the center overflow too although I really liked the way my 100 drains were set up. There is still a lot that is not decided about it yet though. I have some equipment that I can use, I am just not sure if that is the way that I want it. The next thing that I am going to look for is a sump but I need to get my skimmer in and make sure that I configure the sump right.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

I have a mag 18 sitting around if you want to go with something larger....
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I have a mag 18 sitting around if you want to go with something larger....
I have the feeling that might be a little too much, but will definately keep it in mind. :lol: BTW, that big blob in the front/center of the second tank pic is the big red zoa rock. Thought you might get a kick out of it. I'm going to get over that way before long, I promise. But they're doing well.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Does your Mag pump make much noise since you are using 1" pvc? My Mag 12 was a little rattley until I plumbed it with 1.5".

I am still trying to figure out what I really want to use for a return pump, I have had all kinds of ideas but there seems to be drawbacks to most of them. I definately want an external pump, I did notice that the Mag pumps to add a bit of heat to the water but I want something quiet too. I had really thought that I would use the AM3000 but I think that the noise from the draining water would be too loud. I am going to set things up different this time so that if I want to change things up it won't be any problem.

How about some more pics Sue? BTW, when I get my tank up and running I will be raiding your tank. If everything works out I will have some things to bring in return though.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

When I switched out the tank, I took out the drilled divider from the sump where I had the pump intake (I wanted the pump in an enclosed area so any leaks would be contained). I had no room there to put in a bigger pump if I decided to. I'm still using the 9.5 for now. I put the new pump in the water, hoping that in removing with skimmer pump there wouldn't be much difference in the heat. I ran the old mag 9.3 for 4 years out of the water and it was always quiet, as it is now. There's alot more water in the sump now. :lol:

I was going to tell you I have some stuff for your tank when you get it ready, I need to make a little room and have two of a few things. The "aqua delight" acro that got so big is now starting to get a little color back, it'll be a little while yet, the blue stag is coming back and there's a sweet little Hoke type Acro, purple with very blue tips. It's getting more of a blue tint to it. The best thing is NO PESTS! I still don't have any Montiporas as such, the best one's are doing well in the 40 and I have an encrusted cap I've been watching in the 120, it looks good, and no nudibranches. If they were in there they would have got it by now. I may put a small peice of the Confusa in there soon. That is one cool Montipora. I had to sacrifice the huge purple cap, the rest of the Danae and the purple rim cap, just couldn't get them free of Nudis no matter what I tried.

Will try to get some pics today.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I really appreciate the offer Sue. I will take you up on it when I feel things are stable. I will also be making a trip to Capuccino bay to get some nice stuff but I doubt that I will be paying a lot for frags like I used to for at least a year or two. I really want to see how it goes with the tank and my job.

I plan on having no caps in the new tank. They really just take up too much room and shadow too much real estate when they start growing out of control. I will have encrusting montis though. I still like the way even the cheap regular encusting monti's look.

I can't wait to see some pics either.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Here's one of the Montipora Confusa type that's in the 40. And the electronics on the 120, not done yet, but getting there.
Attachments
Montipora.jpg
Montipora.jpg (116.33 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
elect.120.jpg
elect.120.jpg (64.85 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Ok, a couple from the new tank, but keep in mind they're just coming back from Hell. :) I think the little frag shot is sweet. Baby blue at the base.
Attachments
caulastreanclowns.jpg
caulastreanclowns.jpg (74.63 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
Redzoas.jpg
Redzoas.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
Puracro.jpg
Puracro.jpg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
Hokeacro.jpg
Hokeacro.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Couple more...
Attachments
Acrocluster.jpg
Acrocluster.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
Porites.jpg
Porites.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
Favites.jpg
Favites.jpg (65.53 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

Sue it looks great you have done a wonderful job,Glad you got the Tunzes:)
Hope all of your bugs are gone for good,I know they can be a battle.
I will have to come check it out when the corals all get there glory look back :D Wonderful setup congrats.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Thanks Casey, I was beginning to think you ran away. :lol: Everything is doing great and coloring back up finally. Even some of the Acroporas I was sure would die are bouncing back. Hope your tank is doing well!
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

Still around Sue,my tank isnt doing well lost all my Montis and cant keep one so im redoing it all very soon new rock coming in Friday.