What's the Deal?

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

What's the Deal?

Post by Amphiprion »

I know it is coincidence, but there are a LOT of local people getting out of the hobby for various reasons. No need for anyone to explain (none of my business), but just wondering if anyone else has noticed the trend. Hope they can make it back in soon!
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Suziq21
Amoeba

Post by Suziq21 »

Probably been a thought in the back of peoples head's. But, now with the holidays fast approaching a little extra cash in the ole' pocket is the motivation for getting out. JMO
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I can't speak for everyone but some of the people have been in it a while. I know Shawn (a.k.a. Salt'n'lime) was at our second meeting. There was also I lot of people who got out after Ivan and Katrina. I got out because of my new job but I just couldn't stay away for long. I think it's just normal turnover. Hopefully in the near future you will see an abnormal amount of new people who contibute to the forum and the hobby (not the Russian members that have jacked up our member numbers recently).
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

i have all my equipment, katria killed alot of my stuff.... i will be getting back into the hobby once we get settled back down... and will attend meetings regularly again like old times
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Interest change, people change.

I am just not into it quite as much, but still have my 3 tanks. With teens and a new house I have spent no money on my tanks at all. I really do not have to at this point, the corals are all battling for space monthly.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

I'm out because of a move. But when i get new floors I have a tank in my mind to get. Plus my job is my hobby, just on a much larger scale.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

NM354 wrote:I'm out because of a move. But when i get new floors I have a tank in my mind to get. Plus my job is my hobby, just on a much larger scale.
Yeah, you need to change some of your personal info to match your new job description 8)
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Yep. I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever even left for Atlanta. :lol:

How goes the new job, anyway?
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I have also notice that he interest in saltwater hobby gone down hell and a lot of people are getting out. I think one of the main reasons is there are to many other things are going on in there lives. For s lot it has been jobs and some it has been hurricanes and others loose of interest. I have a felling that with in the next year or so that a lot more people will be getting back in the hobby. As for me I am still here and have more interest then ever before. I don’t plan on getting out for a long time. One thing with this hobby I have learned is that once you are in you will never get out of it completely. You may sell off every thing that you have and get out for a little while but in the back of your mind you will be back. This hobby is an addiction.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

I'm still in....in fact I just upgraded from a 75 to a 150. :D Rich and Beaver have been seeing me at the shop a lot more often lately.
-Kristyn
Aaron
Amoeba

Post by Aaron »

Sometimes things get old for us. But the only real chores about this hobby are cleaning the glass and filling the sump due to evaporation. Otherwise, it pretty much takes care of itself. I change 10 gallons of water once per month or every couple of weeks, and it takes 10 minutes. Though with such a busy world, I can see why people want to lessen the load a bit. I love my tank, and now I am working on a 2500 gallon Koi pond with waterfalls for my landscape. With each lost hobbyist, someone else picks up the fever I'm sure. Aaron
Woods Hole
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Aaron has it summed up.

I just clean glass and add water and it still seems like that takes up too much time for what goes on in Amy and my lives. Every cat, dog, tank, hobby takes away from the little bit of time we have for each other.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Aaron
Amoeba

Post by Aaron »

I can see how even the water changes and adding and feeding can get to be a pain in the butt. We have dogs, two kids, a business, etc. It sometimes gets to be one more thing on the to do list. I don't blame you a bit. Some things are definitely more important. I hope I still have the energy down the road. Aaron
Woods Hole
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

sb1227 wrote:Yep. I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever even left for Atlanta. :lol:

The job is great, This place is insane once you really start getting to the heart of it. I learn new things and find new stuff everyday up here.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

NM354 wrote:
sb1227 wrote:Yep. I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever even left for Atlanta. :lol:

The job is great, This place is insane once you really start getting to the heart of it. I learn new things and find new stuff everyday up here.
I have to point out the one thing that bothered me the most about the aquarium, or should i say the worst exhibit. Hands down it was the Fairy Wrasse tank. There was no light and it was a curved half circle of a tank that you could not see into. I guess I'm just being picky because I'm a wrasse guy, but they could make an extremely nice exhibit with those wrasse.