Wrasse introduction, Tang opinions needed

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

Wrasse introduction, Tang opinions needed

Post by sb1227 »

Let me start from the beginning. When we set up the new tank, we had the fish we've had for a few years. They are a mated pair of Percula Clowns, a 4" Fairy Wrasse (not sure which, exactly) and a yellow Tang. They get along fine. I really wanted to add a couple of fish, and Wrasses are one of my favorite fish, but I was a bit worried about adding any more for fear of trouble with the existing Wrasse. I started reading, and found some good info on having more than one Wrasse in a tank, basically the Fairy/Flasher Wrasses seem to be the ones to go with and they are hardier than most and generally safer on Invertebrates.
So, I got the two, figuring maybe two would keep the Wrasse from beating up on one too much. When they were added to the tank, both seemed quite at ease with the other fish, and were coming out rather quickly to check out the surroundings. The Wrasse seemed curious, but ok.
Then....the Yellow Tang went ballistic. It went after the first Wrasse like it was going to tear him up. Absolutely relentless. Fortunately the Wrasses are fast and small and he hid in the rocks. As soon as the Tang noticed the other one, he went nuts again. I was worried for this one, the more peaceful McCoskers. These fish don't stress well, and we decided the Tang would have to take a swim and rest in the 75.
Yeah, right.....catch a Tang in a 120 with way to many Acroporas. :lol: So Becky, the patient fisherman and fish extractor got her nets and waited as any bass fisherman does.......watched, herded the Tang with nets......and waited. After about an hour or so, a tired Tang....and Becky calling it things that would give anyone a real self esteem issue, I tried, very unskillfuly to help. Got close a few times...but no. So I mentioned the fish trap, have had it forever and never used it. She was getting a bit tired and grumpy by this time, so I got the big ol' trap and set it in the only place it would fit in the tank. As we were discussing how it would NEVER work, I put a bit of food in it , and that Damn Tang swam right in like it was nothing....closed the door and still laughing, put the Tang in the 75. Been in there for a couple of days now. :P

Now, what to do. Leave the Tang in there for a couple more days and then put it back in the 120? I plan on having a Tang in this tank, I'm not really fond of them, but they are helpful. I hope that the "time out" will allow the other Wrasses to get comfortable in their surroundings, and maybe the Tang won't be so ornery when we put him back in. Opinions, anyone?
reefman8471
Amoeba

Yellow Tang

Post by reefman8471 »

Well keeping the Yellow Tang in the 75 a few more days is definitely not going to hurt. Since the tang and the wrasses don't look anything alike that could very well keep the tang from being aggressive toward the wrasses. However, the Yellow Tang will be just fine in the 75 if you wanted to leave him in there and get another less aggressive tang for the 120. Ones that you commonly see are the Yellow-eyed Tang that eats detritus and algae. They are not as brightly colored as the Yellow Tang but has a nice pattern and are fairly easy to keep. Also, a Blue Tang would be good although they can be a little more difficult to keep. I have a Chocolate Mimic Tang that is peaceful for an Acanthurus spp and has a nice color pattern to it.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

It is amazing the weird things an aquarium environment cause fish to do. These fish have such a drastically different niche under normal circumstances, that such a confrontation would be unheard of. I feel your aggression is due to several reasons. Normally, yellow tangs have a few dominant males that viciously protect territory. Unlike schooling situations, these guys have loose, hierarchical shoals. They can often be found alone defending an area against competitors. In your case, the entire tank is your tang's undisturbed/undisputed territory. Did you happen to feed your tank after adding the wrasses? Yellow tangs eat 100% algae in the wild, though they obviously eat almost anything in the aquarium. The tang would therefore recognize your wrasse as a direct competitor, especially since both are midwater to upper level swimmers. The tang may have just become accustomed to the other fish occupying its territory. It is just an eventual reflex (as a part of psychological conditioning) to where the fish just gives up on many of the others. Initial behaviors may not have even sparked anything in particular. It could be that some of the new/novel behaviors the wrasses exhibited alerted the tang to an invader and potential competitor. You know how competition is on a coral reef--it never ends well. I would keep the tang at bay as long as possible so that it grows accustomed to new territory. When you move it again, it will be the invader, so to speak, and will therefore be looking to reestablish a new area. Also, turning the lights off before adding it and leaving them off for the remainder of the day helps as well. The diurnal fish are more concerned about getting to safety (bad things happen to fish at night) rather than defending their territory.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I got this tang from a friend, who had it in an algaeless 29 gallon. I have only had him for a year and a half or so, not as long as I was thinking earlier. Personally, I always liked the bristletooth, Ctenochaetus species the best of the small tangs. But I have this one....
I fed the tank before adding the fish, and turned off the lights right after. The Tang eats anything I put in the tank. He definately think he owns this tank, fortunately the Wrasse and the Tang are buddies. I guess that's why (as odd as it sounds) I wasn't so worried about the Tang at first. The Wrasse and the new Wrasses are getting along quite well. I worry about leaving the Tang out for too long for fear of the same thing happening from the other side. I think it may be a timing thing, getting him moved when the Wrasses are comfortable, but not so long as to let them get territorial. If the Tang remains aggressive, I guess I'll have to find him a home.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I don't find it odd that he did that. My old purple tang would not let anything in the tank peacefully. I don't think the lubbucks would have any problem with the tang. From my readings they can be tough little fish. Its the flasher I'd worry about.

If I need to hold my fish for a little longer I can do that. My corals are not looking to hot right now though.
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Sue that sounds like typical tang behavior to me. In tha tanks that I've had in the past they were always the second to last add (a large angel or larger tang being the last). Mine have gotten very territorial quickly. Even when I added my swallowtail angel to my 110 gallon, the Purple tang immediately went to show the Angel that he was boss. That's why I wanted a larger angel than my tang.

I would personally start looking for a new home for him. He's allready shown that it's his tank and intruders are not wanted. :(
Doc :D
reefman8471
Amoeba

Yellow Tang

Post by reefman8471 »

It is fascinating how fish act sometimes. My Purple Tang was in my 100 gallon by himself for a while after consolidating my 55 and 40 into it. The next fish I added was a Longnose Butterflyfish (Forcipiger longirostris). The tang was all over him for at least a week. It took about that long for the butterflyfish to start eating something but he eventually did and the tang leaves him alone almost entirely. The butterflyfish eats with gusto now. Then, last week I added a Chocolate Mimic Tang that is slightly larger than the Purple Tang but not by much and the Purple Tang did introduce himself but showed very little aggression compared to what he showed the butterflyfish.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Single tangs are very territorial in my experience. Especially the purples, yellows, koles, scopas types. Ditch the yellow menace and keep the nice wrasses. You know me, I only like the Chevrons.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

With you Phil I think it is you only like anything that cost a bit of money. haha. Were those all the wrasses you have left that I saw at Aquaria, or do you have more somewhere else?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Nice to hear from you Phil. :lol: I was wondering if you had completely disappeared. I have often thought I would pick, of all the Tangs, a Chevron....until I saw the price. :shock:

For some reason, I'm not shocked that you're siding with the Wrasses. They are awfully sweet. Have you gotten yours back yet??
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

If you want to talk about shock, check the price of a Black tang. I can't imagine why anyone would pay that much for a fish! :roll:
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

DrHank wrote:If you want to talk about shock, check the price of a Black tang. I can't imagine why anyone would pay that much for a fish! :roll:
Black tangs are bad, but not as bad as 'gem' tangs. No way in hell ill pay $2000 for a fish.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

If a fish needs to cost 2000, it needs to stay in the ocean. :)
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

So what is "Gem Tang" anyway?
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Or how about this Gem Tang?

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tangs/gemtang/

I could buy a good used truck for that! :lol: