Hello Again from Mississippi

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

HCJohn
Amoeba

Hello Again from Mississippi

Post by HCJohn »

Hi guys and gals...whoevers left. :)

Its been a LONG time since I posted here. Unfortunately, my peak tank time was right before Hurricane Katrina. :( After the storm I lost all of my livestock in my small, but pretty full 28gallon reef tank. I just havent had any interest to even think about setting a tank back up until now. So, the first place I headed was here. Unfortunately, it looks like this place isnt doing so well. :(

I dont think Im going to go full reef again, just some liverock possibly and some fish. Im just not even sure where to start anymore. In the time since my tank has been down my gear isnt quite where it used to be either.

Anyway, Im just wondering, where are the good stores, was going to ask about meetings but that looks like its pretty much stopped. :( I need to find a place that might stock live sand or something. Honestly Im kinda totally lost. Any help would be appreciated. Not looking for handouts, just some help :)

I will be around for awhile I hope so I hope to talk to all of you again, old timers, new timers, anyone. :) I went to one meeting and had a blast with you guys back then...who knows, things could pick back up. Looks like they are for me.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
35lbs Fiji rock (taken by Katrina)
50lbs Live Sand (taken by Katrina)
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I can't say much about the stores in Miss., maybe someone from the area can chime in and help. There are a few places in the Mobile area, Progressive Marine is still going and Fat Fish in Daphne is a good one as well.
Pensacola has some, don't know if you want to trek that far. I think I've seen posts of some of the places in MS. reopening recently.

Not too many people post just to post here anymore, but you can bet if you post something you'll get an answer. It's quiet, but people are lurking. :lol:
I'd be happy to help, and so would some of the quiet ones....so anything we can do, just let us know. Glad you're thinking about starting your tank again.

Sue
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Lurking??? :twisted:
Doc :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Be Afwaid......Be vewy afwaid....... :P
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Thanks for the replys. Im glad to see there are still lurkers.

One question I have. Whats the best/cheapest bio filtration setup now? Back when I last had it going, liverock/sand was pretty much the cats meow, but Im not sure I want to invest in all of that right off for mostly a fish tank, but if thats that best way still, I will go with that I suppose.

Just wanting to make sure there isnt some new tech I missed out on or something for a tank of with my size.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

I am still a deep sand bed/live rock believer...just like mother nature made it. I had a guy here last weekend that hates deep sand beds. I guess to each his own. My sand bed is 6 or seven inches in places. It isn't pristeen white, but it works and my tank is extremely healthy. We test the water rarely and I feed my fish maybe every 3 weeks. There's enough critters in that tank to feed an army of fish.

I know you said you live too far away from us, but if you want to cycle your tank and start up your bio filter you are still more than welcome to come to the house and pick up a few buckets of live sand and some rock. Both the sand and rock came out of the 500 we had in Mobile. There are also zillions of those tiny little Marshall Island snails all over this rock. They are brilliant little algae eaters and breed like rabbits.

Plan a Saturday. How far are you from Baton Rouge or Hammond?

Elizabeth
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Hello Again from Mississippi

Post by Scott »

HCJohn wrote: I dont think Im going to go full reef again, just some liverock possibly and some fish. Im just not even sure where to start anymore. In the time since my tank has been down my gear isnt quite where it used to be either.
That's just how it starts off, then you start thinking. It's all down hill from there, but I am sure that you knew that. I had to tear down when I moved, I got a new tank and with my new work schedule it had been impossible to completely set it back up. Typical stuff was hindering my progress, plumbing that didn't want to cooperate, needing a new sump, that type of thing.

It's nice seeing old faces come back though. I have been absent for a while but I feel the urge so when I can get back home I hope to get it done before I get called out again.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Hi Scott, Long time no see.

I was digging thru my PM's the other nite and I had got some frags from you back when I was starting up. So sad to see it all lost, but like you said, nice to see old names back.

As far as me from BatonRouge, going by Google, looks like Im a little over 2 hours. For some reason I thought it was further then that. I will talk with the wife and maybe I can make the trip. Might be worth it. Thanks for the offer Elizabeth.

edit: Im trying to figure out the best way now. According to google, to gonzales would be best to take I-10 in. But it almost seems like it would be faster to go up I-12 and come in from that direction. Not sure.

Anyway, Im seriously considering it and will let you know.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Heck you are closer than the guys in Mobile...no excuses. You could outrun them and take all the good stuff. By the way, there are a few people around here that want some stuff but I would REALLY rather you guys get it. Come on over. We have no plans for the next few weekends.

Eli-
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

I sent you a pm. Im already set to head out this Sat. if thats ok with you and Im hoping to get about 35lbs of rock and 50-60lbs of sand if thats ok and you still have it. I sure wish I was already set up, I would relieve you of some corals. :)

Either way, Im set if youre all good with it. Look forward to meeting you then.
Last edited by HCJohn on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

HCJohn wrote: Im trying to figure out the best way now. According to google, to gonzales would be best to take I-10 in. But it almost seems like it would be faster to go up I-12 and come in from that direction. Not sure.

Anyway, Im seriously considering it and will let you know.

If you go I-10 would you come through New Orleans? I-10 splits in Slidell. You then have the choice of taking I-12 to Baton Rouge or I-10 to New Orleans. If you take I-12 into Baton Rouge you can pick up I-10 again which would take you back to New Orleans but on the other side. I would suggest you pick up I-12 in Slidell and take it the 10/12 split in Baton Rouge. You would then get on I-10 east back towards New Orleans. Gonzales is 12 miles south of Baton Rouge off I-10. That's the best way.

For those coming from Mobile you would also come into Baton Rouge on I-12 and take I-10 east once in Baton Rouge...don't take I-10 to New Orleans from Slidell...that's the looooooong way.

Once you guys pick a date I will give you better directions.

Eli-
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Good deal, looking at the Googlemap, I-12 to BatonRouge did look alot better. I believe Ive been to Gonzales before. I think I helped build a McDonalds there a few years back, but I dont know. Ive been so many places over there working before. :)

Anyway, I will be headed that way Sat. sometime.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Marsfrogie
Amoeba

Post by Marsfrogie »

Hello. I am also from MS and I agree the local fish store selection is terrible. Look up Coral Connection in kenner louisiana. Also you can try delta pet center in slidell la. Coral connection has a very large frag tank and generally has a decent selection of colorful acropora and montipora in addition to the normal stuff.
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

There's a decent LFS in Hattiesburg... Crystal Reef Aquariums I think.

There's a small but nice saltwater store in Pascagoula too, I'll try to get address sometime...

Other than those, SOUTH MISSISSIPPI IS A WASTELAND FOR AQUARIUM STORES! :x
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

www.underwateroutlet.com. might have what you need