A little story....

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

A little story....

Post by sb1227 »

So as we walked into the living room a while ago, I noticed the youngest cat, Buster, had this incredulous look on his face. I'll interpret it as "I just got the greatest toy EVER and it fell right out of the sky!!". My gaze followed his as he looked down at the big ol' fish under his paw and I went into OMG mode, grabbing the Wrasse, suitably named "The Catfish", although I'm quite sure he's gone thru a few more than his allotted nine lives. :)

He had obviously made an unusually quiet jump, normally there's some banging that precedes finding said fish on the floor somewhere within 10 feet of the tank. After rushing water thru his gills he began to move rather weakly and I let him go. He basically fell right to the bottom, and has been there gasping ever since.
So after telling the kitty what a good boy he is for saving the fish, I'm watching to see if the Wrasse pulls out of this mess.

Buster has been laying right up next to the tank ever since. I look at him and think "Aw, he cares".
Yeah, right.. :roll: ...that cat is waiting for the next toy to fall out of the sky. :)
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

I wound up with half an orange spotted goby the same way. My daughters Jack Russell Terrier seems to have disposed of the other half. :(
Doc :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

That had to hurt. :shock:
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Something similar happened to me. One day my dog was underneath my bed, making relatively loud "CRUNCH, CRUNCH" noises, followed by some chewing. I sat thinking, "What has he managed to get now?" So I look under there and find out he is eating a VERY dried up yellow tang (always wondered where the poor guy went). I wasn't about to take it away from him for fear of losing fingers, so I just left the room until he was done (getting sick) :lol:

So Sue, how did he/she/it do? Did it make it?
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

When he finally swam to his hiding place, I figured from the way he looked he was probably a goner, I saw him yesterday morning and he still looked bad. I was surprised he was still breathing. Haven't seen him since, so I think he probably died yesterday sometime. I hate that, have had that fish for 4 years. He would jump out two or three times a year, and oddly enough it was always when someone was here.
As for the cat, they are usually the ones who let me know where the fish are if/when they jump and really don't damage them, other than to bat them around a bit. That same cat found the Siamese Algae Eater when he jumped out of the 90, poor thing was almost dry when I got to him, but he came thru ok. You really never know with fish, so I had some hope that the Wrasse might make it. I'll miss the little dude.

BTW ndrew, are you familiar with Iriatherina Werneri (Threadfin Rainbows) ? I got one, and they seem to be shoalers so obviously need to get more. Tiny little things.
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

On a less enthusiastic note, my daughter found the other half of my goby this afternoon. She told us earlier that she smelled something funny. Guess she followed her nose.
Doc :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Ewwwww. RIP Goby.

:P
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

sb1227 wrote: BTW ndrew, are you familiar with Iriatherina Werneri (Threadfin Rainbows) ? I got one, and they seem to be shoalers so obviously need to get more. Tiny little things.
Yes, an interesting species (I think it is the only one in the genus). They do shoal and I would get 6 individuals minimum. Your tank is the perfect setting for this species, since they live in areas of HEAVY vegetation. The only downside is the lifespan (usually around 2 years), but that is not uncommon in freshwater fish anyway. My long lived saltwater fish spoil me in that regard.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I was thinking about 6-8, if I can find some. I agree with the lifespan, although in the 37 I still have the one 8 year old black skirt Tetra :roll: and an 8 year old Hypostamus Pleco who will outlive the bunch, I have the feeling. :)
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

sb1227 wrote:I was thinking about 6-8, if I can find some. I agree with the lifespan, although in the 37 I still have the one 8 year old black skirt Tetra :roll: and an 8 year old Hypostamus Pleco who will outlive the bunch, I have the feeling. :)
I had a black skirt tetra last FOREVER! I couldn't believe how long lived these tetras could be, but I was surprised to say the least. I have a pair of lemon tetras going on about 7 years (beginning to look a bit scraggly), but luckily I have gotten about 4 more out of that original pair.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Man, you should have seen the grandpappy black skirt I had that finally died. Little guy was a lumpy, torn finned, ratty, bugeyed fellow when he finally gave it up. :lol: